Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
sysprog said:
Hey, when I started the thread, I said "Sometimes I see a line (or maybe a brief multiline) post...
Fake news. Do you have a video?

Physics news on Phys.org
sysprog said:
Isn't "In fact, maybe" rather fence-straddling? :wink:
Ah, yes,... thank you. I'd been wondering what was causing that pain between my legs.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
Post.
Now fixed.
I prefer the original. Come to think of it, there are plenty of posts here and elsewhere that are sorely inviting of an "oost". [Does anyone know whether an "oost" emoticon exists? And is/was there a corresponding internet meme?]

Vanadium 50 said:
There is a link to the original post, in the quote. Click the little arrow.
TIL how and when to use the "multiquote" button. :oldsmile:

Mayhem said:
Quantum chemistry: When lonely physicists decided that their psychotic ideas should be my problem.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Drakkith, Twigg, ChemAir and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Hey, don't "like" my post. I have my 8000. Go "like" the original by @Nugatory!
Didn't @Greg Bernhardt recently establish a new award for 12,000? Could you be resting on your laurels prematurely?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
This one perhaps should go without saying, but @anorlunda said it so well:

"Just saying that you believe something without giving the foundation won't get you very far on PF."

Likes anorlunda
For you, the problem is that you aren't looking at the math. You're looking at various people's attempts to describe what the math is saying in ordinary language. And there is no way to do that with 100% accuracy because our ordinary language simply doesn't have the words or the concepts required. ##-## @PeterDonis (I added underlining)

sysprog said:
For you, the problem is that you aren't looking at the math. You're looking at various people's attempts to describe what the math is saying in ordinary language. And there is no way to do that with 100% accuracy because our ordinary language simply doesn't have the words or the concepts required. ##-## @PeterDonis (I added underlining)
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother - Einstein.

This is true. Ever since my dear grandmother passed I don't understand a thing.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, Drakkith, gentzen and 7 others
. . . you can't just say "tachyons" and have a fully consistent theory appear out of nowhere. ##-## @Vanadium 50

sysprog said:
. . . you can't just say "tachyons" and have a fully consistent theory appear out of nowhere. ##-## @Vanadium 50
I don't understand the fuss. I've measured them before with a tachyometer.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, bhobba, anorlunda and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't understand the fuss. I've measured them before with a tachyometer.
Last time I was at the hardware store, all the velocimeters they had were bradyometers ##-## :confused:

sysprog said:
Last time I was at the hardware store, all the velocimeters they had were bradyometers ##-## :confused:
Check Amazon

Likes sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
As they say "it is difficult to tell where one error ends and the next begins."

• Haha
Likes sysprog and anorlunda
I'm sure it's not original. Probably comes from a referee report I got.

• Haha
Likes Twigg, Keith_McClary, bhobba and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
Heck, there's even a version you tell your 6 year old when he asks you at bedtime to explain what a black hole is. And it doesn't start with, "Well, son, for a static, spherically symmetrical spacetime..."

• Haha
Likes Twigg, bhobba, sysprog and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Everything is better with explosive bolts.

• Haha
Likes Hornbein, bhobba, sysprog and 1 other person
  • Haha
Likes bhobba
You will learn much less by watching videos of people solving problems than you will solving problems. ##-## @Vanadium 50

Likes Astronuc, Hamiltonian, PhDeezNutz and 4 others
OP:

What I've gathered from reading your post is this: You are enamored of the grand concepts of physics, but you don't have the patience, discipline, and drive to work through the fundamentals. Physics is like many other fields: There's the fun stuff, and there's the not-so-fun stuff (what is fun and what is not-so-fun depends on the individual). But to succeed at the fun stuff, you also need to succeed at the not-so-fun stuff. That applies to geology and astronomy as well as to physics and math. So you should re-examine your attitude.

@CrysPhys

This definitely needs to be said to a lot of new posters. Not to berate them but rather give them an encouraging wake up call.

Likes Hamiltonian
PeroK said:
The clocks and particles themselves are blissfully unaware of our choice of reference frame.

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, Keith_McClary and 3 others
There comes a point where physics cannot be explained any further and you need to do the calculations for yourself. ##-## @PeroK

Likes Astronuc, Keith_McClary, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Timbo (was concerned that high energy particles found by the ANITA detector were a global threat)

'Am I the only one understanding this article?'

Vanadium 50

'I think you're the only one misunderstanding them.'

Likes bhobba, jack action, BillTre and 2 others
When a newbie asked in the Feedback forum if they could post questions about homeopathy...

phinds said:
Homeopathic treatment should be payed for with homeopathic cash ... that is, an envelope that used to have money in it but now doesn't.

:smile:

• Haha
  • Love
Likes dlgoff, Drakkith, Astronuc and 15 others
berkeman said:
When a newbie asked in the Feedback forum if they could post questions about homeopathy...
:smile:
Brilliant. I think that is in my top 5.

Likes bhobba and phinds
In a thread aksing if a transformer load current always returns to the transformer.

Dullard said:
If you can come up with a good way to persuade people who are simultaneously certain and wrong, I'd love to hear the details.
Wouldn't we all!

Likes Drakkith, bhobba and sysprog
Not a 1-liner, but still a classic. From the Academic Advising forum... :smile:

BvU said:
(*) everyone wants to study only the essentials and everyone only wants to buy winning lottery tickets (especially management types ?:)). The only way to find out what is core is to study the lot. And the only way to make certain you buy the winning ticket is to buy all tickets...

Likes Wrichik Basu, pinball1970, sysprog and 3 others
Too much honour ...
Must have been a weak moment ... :rolleyes:

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Motors require current to keep them running. Is that not obvious? ##-## @Dale

Likes Drakkith, hutchphd and Dale
The book is free on Amazon and is seriously overpriced. ##-## @phinds

• Haha
Likes DaveE, Drakkith, jack action and 6 others
This is a fun thread...
How come no one debited the hot air balloon thingy:
no one said:
A hot air balloon can jettison ballast to gain height, but it's still only a hot air balloon

Ah, I know :doh:! It 's not really a one liner, but a composite !
No more mischief :angel: -- merry xmas!

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes sysprog and pinball1970
A post like this one, by a Mentor, happens regularly here on PF (I especially like the succinctness):
After a Mentor discussion, the thread will stay closed. Thank you everyone. ##-## @berkeman

Likes BvU, Wrichik Basu, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
If the question happened to be "Find the solutions of the equation ##x^2 - 4x + 3 = 0##, and you wrote ##S = \{x | x^2 - 4x + 3 = 0 \}##, I doubt that many teachers would give you credit for this answer. ##-## @Mark44

• Haha
Likes valenumr, DrClaude, PhDeezNutz and 1 other person
sysprog said:
If the question happened to be "Find the solutions of the equation ##x^2 - 4x + 3 = 0##, and you wrote ##S = \{x | x^2 - 4x + 3 = 0 \}##, I doubt that many teachers would give you credit for this answer. ##-## @Mark44
Ha ha!

Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman