Greatest common divisor question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the possible values for gcd(M, 2010) given certain conditions and also finding the value of M within a specific range. The solution involves understanding the properties of prime numbers and using them to determine the values of M and gcd(M, 2010).
DanielJackins

Homework Statement

(b) Suppose a certain student’s ID number M satisfies
gcd(M, 2010) > gcd(M, 271) > 1.
Find all possible values for gcd(M, 2010). Be sure to explain your reasoning. [Note:
both 271 and 67 are prime.]
(c) Suppose that the ID number M from part (b) lies between 10020000 and 10030000.
Find M. Be sure to explain your reasoning.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got b) (I think), gcd(M, 2010) must be greater than 271, as 271 is prime so gcd(M, 271) must be 1 or 271, and it's greater than 1. So I found all the divisors of 2010 which are greater than 271. (Being 2010, 1005, 670, 402, and 335) I think that's correct, though I'm not entirely sure.

As for c), I really have no idea how to find that, and was hoping for a nudge in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that M is a multiple of both 271 and 67. So M = 67 * 271 * k, for some integer k. You also have 10020000 <= M <= 10030000. What does this tell you about k?

Sorry I don't understand where the 67 is coming from. That confused me in the note too

You wrote that gcd(M, 2010) = 335, 402, 670, 1005 or 2010. Notice that all of these numbers are multiples of 67.

Oh got it, thanks for the help!

1. What is the definition of greatest common divisor (GCD)?

The greatest common divisor (GCD) of two or more numbers is the largest positive integer that divides evenly into all of the numbers.

2. How do you find the GCD of two numbers?

The most common method for finding the GCD of two numbers is by using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

3. Can the GCD of two numbers be greater than the smaller number?

Yes, the GCD can be greater than the smaller number. This occurs when the smaller number is a factor of the larger number.

4. What is the relationship between GCD and prime numbers?

The GCD of two numbers is always a factor of both numbers. Therefore, if the GCD of two numbers is 1, it means the numbers have no common factors and are relatively prime. Prime numbers have a GCD of 1 with all other numbers.

5. How is the GCD used in mathematics?

The GCD is used in many mathematical concepts, including simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common multiple, and solving linear Diophantine equations. It is also used in cryptography and in the construction of rational numbers.