Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Function for Spherical Problem(Jackson)

1. Dec 30, 2015 #1
    5laKlNe.png
    Hello guys, here's my question is how the book managed to solve this boundary value problem?? can anyone explain it to me in detail?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How fare have you gotten?

4. Dec 31, 2015 #3
    I couldn't apply the boundary conditions normally, there is something more about this problem that i just don't see there, could you help me?

5. Dec 31, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is this going to be one of those threads where we have to drag it out of you to figure out what you've done?

More generally, this is showing where your plan of getting through a graduate program in physics on your own, in an order of magnitude faster time than physics graduate students breaks down. It's not enough to have seen the prerequisites - you need to know it. On July 24th you were complaining about the first chapter in Boas. On November 12th, you were saying you were nearly done with it. That's very fast, You also said you weren't working through all the problems, and now you are faced with a problem you can't solve because you don't have the math background. Whizzing through a text at lightning speed avoiding the problems isn't going to get you the math.

6. Dec 31, 2015 #5
    Well, this isn't a exercise of the book, but a section of the book trying to explain the method, i didn't anything, and my question is HOW he managed to apply these boundary conditions to the radial green function and get these equations below, and other thing, i was complaining about Boas book because the first chapter is REALLY boring, but i managed to understand almost everything in this chapter, the other chapters are VERY fluid and i was having fun with it,and i make a pause in chapter 10 of the book, and another thing, this is a community, where everyone help the others, if you don't wanna help just don't post, if you want to indicate a problem in my study plan or even advise a book to reinforce my knowledge, great, i would love this, but come here in a public post and talk like that..., it's ok if you don't want to help, but there's no reason to humiliate me that way.

7. Dec 31, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Humiliate? Then report me to the mentors. Pretending that a strategy that is doomed to fail will succeed does you no favors.

You don't read a textbook like a novel. You need to work out the derivations. If you don't want to do that, you're not going to learn. Having us do the derivations won't help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook