1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's function in acoustics,method of descent

1. Jan 1, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there,
    I was reading a book discussing on the topic of compact Green's function in 2D. However,I have been stuck for a while on some mathematical manipulations depicted below.
    Q.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In 2nd box,I guess the author was trying to pull out the differentiation sign and make use of the fact that the delta function is an even function.However,the delta function in the first box is differentiating with respect to the single term within the bracket rather than t?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2018 #2

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

if ##f(x)## is a function and ##x=g(t)## is any linear function of t (such that ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial{t}}=c_1##) then from the chain rule it follows that ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}c_1##.

To state it more clearly, the operators ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}, \frac{\partial}{\partial Y}## have the same effect (up to a constant) because the argument ##x=g(t,Y)## of the delta function is linear both in t and Y.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. Jan 1, 2018 #3
    For the primed delta in 2nd box, what is delta differentiating with respect to?

5. Jan 2, 2018 #4

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see any primed delta in the 2nd box, if you mean at first box, there it is like saying ##\delta'(x)## that is differentiate w.r.t x and then replace ##x=t-\tau-...##

6. Jan 2, 2018 #5

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see now Y is a vector ##(y_1,y_2)## if we want to do this in detail we ll have to use taylor's theorem with two variables but again the key point is that the term ##\hat x \cdot Y=x_1y_1+x_2y_2## is linear in ##y_1 , y_2##

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted