Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the Green's function of a homogeneous cylinder and its representation in equations (B3) and (B4). There is confusion over the factor of \frac{1}{\rho\rho'} in front of the Green function and how it relates to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates. The person suggests consulting Jackson's book for further clarification.
PeteyCoco
I've been reading this article for a prof this summer: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.0245v1.pdf
I'm having some trouble following the math in Appendix B: Green's Function Of A Homogeneous Cylinder (page 9). Can someone explain to me why there is a factor of
[itex]\frac{1}{\rho\rho'}[/itex]
in front of the Green function? Can someone walk me through the representation of the function in eq (B3) Also, how did equation (B4) come about? It looks similar to eq (1) of the article, but something is happening that I can't follow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've been looking through Jackson and it seems that it might have what I need. Any help is still appreciated because I'm sure I'll hit a roadblock in Jackson (I've only were read griffiths)Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

That factor comes about because they simply pulled it out of the radial part as explained in the sentence following Equation (B3). It's a simple definition. My guess is if you substitute that \sqrt{\rho \rho'} factor into Equation (B4) and work out the math then you will end up with the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates for the radial component. This would be Equation (3.141) in my third edition of Jackson. So, once again, just substitute the \tilde{gm} into the gm in the Jackson equation and I bet you get Equation (B4).

Related to Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder

1. What is the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder?

The Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations for problems involving a homogeneous cylinder. It represents the solution to a point source located inside the cylinder and can be used to find the solution for any other source distribution within the cylinder.

2. How is the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder calculated?

The Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder is calculated using the method of images, where the cylinder is replaced by an infinite number of point sources located outside the cylinder. The Green's Function is then expressed as a sum of solutions from each point source with appropriate coefficients.

3. What are the applications of the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder?

The Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the electric potential or magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor, solving problems in heat conduction, and analyzing fluid flow in pipes.

4. Can the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder be used for non-homogeneous cylinders?

Yes, the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder can be extended to non-homogeneous cylinders by superposition. This means that the solution for a non-homogeneous cylinder can be obtained by combining the solutions for multiple homogeneous cylinders with different radii and material properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder?

One limitation of the Green's Function of a homogeneous cylinder is that it only applies to problems with cylindrical symmetry. It also assumes that the cylinder is infinitely long, and the source is located at a point inside the cylinder. Additionally, it may not be suitable for highly complex geometries or material properties.