1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem and annulus at 0,0

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate this line integral

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int xe^{-2x}dx+(x^4+2x^2y^2)dy[/itex] for the annulus [itex]1 \le x^2+y^2 \le 4[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex] \displaystyle \int_c f(x,y) dx + g(x,y)dy+ \int_s f(x,y) dx + g(x,y)dy = \int \int _D1 (G_x-G_y) dA=0 \implies \int_c=- \int_s= \int_{-s}[/itex]

Let c be the out circle of radius 2 counterclockwise and s the inner radius of 1 clockwise

x=r cos [itex]\theta[/itex], y=r sin [itex]\theta[/itex] substituting

evaluating the last term on RHS, ie

[itex] \displaystyle \int_{-s}= \int_0^{2 \pi} r cos \theta (e^{-2r cos \theta})(-r sin \theta d \theta) +(r^4 cos^4 \theta +2r^2 cos^2 \theta r^2 sin^2 \theta) r cos \theta d \theta[/itex]

Is this right so far? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the problem is, as you say, to use Green's theorem, why are you not using Green's theorem?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    I guess because I was following my notes blindly which I think was just demonstrating a principle.

For the annulus then do I use green's to calculate the inner circle and subtract it from the outer circle?

Thanks

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4
    Correction,

I think I will split the annulus into a top and bottom and write

[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_R (g_x-f_y) dA = \int \int_T (g_x-f_y )dA + \int \int_B (g_x-f_y) d A[/itex]...right?

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5

I calculate that the top and bottom integrals are both 0....? I thought they should be non 0 since the annulus is centred about 0?

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, just integrate on the annulus itself. Using polar coordinates as you suggested before, take [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and r from 1 to 2.

Now, what is [itex]g_x- f_y[/itex]?

8. Jan 21, 2012 #7
    It is [itex] g_x-f_y =(4x^3 + 4xy^2)-(0)[/itex]

If we are using green's to evaluate the above integral which does not include the origin then we expect to get a non 0 answer right? But I keep getting 0 for the above integral...

9. Jan 24, 2012 #8
    Any suggestions on this one?

10. Jan 24, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you are doing the integral wrong!
    The integral is
    [tex]4\int_0^1 4r^4dr\int_0^{2\pi}(cos^3(\theta)+ sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta))d\theta[/tex]
    (the fourth power of r is due to the differential of area in polar coordinates being "[itex]rdrd\theta[/itex]", but it is the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral that is important.)

The [itex]\theta[/itex] integral can be written
    [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} cos(\theta)(1- sin^2(\theta))d\theta+ \int_0^{2\pi} sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

Let [itex]u= sin(x)[/itex] in the first integral and let [itex]v= cos(\theta)[/itex] in the second equation.

11. Jan 24, 2012 #10
    I calculate [itex] \displaystyle \int \int (g_x -f_y) dA = \int \int (4x^3+4xy^2) dA = \int_1^2 \int_0^{2 \pi}(4r^4 cos^3 \theta +4r^4 cos \theta sin^2 \theta) d \theta dr[/itex]....

I am just wondering how you arrived at yours especially the limits...? Have you got the sin theta cos^2 theta switched? should it be cos theta sin^2 theta

12. Jan 25, 2012 #11
    Any comments on this one folks...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook