Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Physics 2.13.B

In summary: Yes, that seems to be the correct process. You may want to double check the notation in your calculations, however, to make sure there are no typos or mistakes.
deltafee

Homework Statement

construct ψ(x,t)^(2) where ψ(x,t) = 1/5(3ψ_0(x)e^(-iE_0t/ħ)+4ψ_1(x)e^(-iE_1t/ħ). I know we square it but we have to find E_0 and E_1 and put it in.

Homework Equations

E_n = (ħ^(2)k_n^(2))/2m = (n^(2)π^(2)ħ^(2))/2ma^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

E_0 = 0 and E_(1) = (1π^(2)ħ^(2))/2ma^(2)
Proper solution: E_0 = ħω/2 and E_1 = 3ħω/2

Physics news on Phys.org
You have said nothing of the potential that is assumed for the given problem. This is necessary information as it will affect the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates.

The full problem is:
A particle in the harmonic oscillator potential starts out in the state Ψ(x,0) = A[3ψ_0(x)+4ψ_1(x)]
A. = Find A, A = 1/5
B. Construct Ψ(x,t) and |Ψ(x,t)|^2:
Ψ(x,t) = 1/5[3ψ(x)e^(-((iE_0 t)/ħ)+4ψ(x)e^(-(iE_1 t)/ħ)]

What I understand is that the the harmonic states is 0 and 1 so n = 0 and n = 1

However, I just found the equation
E_(n) = (n+1/2)ħω

so it makes sense now, however, I have a question about part C. which is find <x> and <p>.
so x = (ħ/(2mω))^(½)(a_(+)-a_(-)) and <x> = (1/25)(ħ/(2mω))^(½)(∫Ψ^*(a_+a_-)Ψdx but I am alittle confused on what to do next.
I believe what happens is a_+3ψ_0 + a_4ψ_1 = 3ψ_(n+1)^(2)e^(-iωt)+4ψ_(n-1)^(2)e^(iωt)= 3(4ψ_1^(2))e^(-iωt)+4(3ψ_(0)^2)e^(iωt) is this the correct understanding?

deltafee said:
however, I have a question about part C. which is find <x> and <p>.
so x = (ħ/(2mω))^(½)(a_(+)-a_(-)) and <x> = (1/25)(ħ/(2mω))^(½)(∫Ψ^*(a_+a_-)Ψdx but I am alittle confused on what to do next.
I believe what happens is a_+3ψ_0 + a_4ψ_1 = 3ψ_(n+1)^(2)e^(-iωt)+4ψ_(n-1)^(2)e^(iωt)= 3(4ψ_1^(2))e^(-iωt)+4(3ψ_(0)^2)e^(iωt) is this the correct understanding?
Your post is really hard to read. Please take a few minutes to learn LaTeX.

It's pretty clear the two sides around the first equal sign aren't, in fact, equal. You're not doing yourself any favors being sloppy with the math. Clean up your notation.

In part C. I need to find $$\left<x\right>$$ and $$\left<p\right>$$ using Ladder Operators:
$$\Psi\left(x,t\right) = \frac{1}{5}\left(3\psi_{0}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\psi_{1}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}\right)$$
$$x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\left(a_{+}+a_{-}\right)$$
So:
$$\left<x\right> = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\int \Psi^{*}\left(a_{+}+a_{-}\right)\Psi_{n} (Eq1)$$, I know that the next step in the solution is $$\left<x\right>=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\int\left(12\psi_{0}^{2}e^{-i\omega t}+12\psi_{1}^{2}e^{i\omega t}\right)dx(Eq2)$$ and I am confused on how you get from Eq1 to Eq2. My idea of the step in between is
$$\left<x\right>=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\int \left(3a_{+}\psi_{0} +4a_{-}\psi_{1}\right)$$

The usual distributive rules apply here. Multiply everything out as you usually would to calculate ##(a_+ + a_-)(c_1 \psi_0 + c_2\psi_1)##.

from that distribution we get $$ \left(3a_{+}\psi_{0}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4a_{-}\psi_{1}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}+3a_{-}\psi_{0}e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4a_{-}\psi\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}\right)$$
and
$$a_{+}=\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{n+1}, a_{-}=\sqrt{n}\psi_{n-1}$$
and using that operate you get:
$$ 3\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{1}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{2}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}+3\sqrt{n}\psi_{-1}e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\sqrt{n}\psi_{0}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}$$
which is
$$ 3\sqrt{0+1}\psi_{1}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\sqrt{1+1}\psi_{2}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}+3\sqrt{0}\psi_{-1}e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\sqrt{1}\psi_{0}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}$$
So you get:
$$ 3\psi_{1}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}+4\sqrt{2}\psi_{2}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}+4\psi_{0}\left(x\right)e^{-\frac{3i\omega t}{2}}$$
Then multiplying by $$\Psi^{*}$$ we get:
$$9\psi_{0}\psi_{1}+12\sqrt{2}\psi_{2}\psi_{0}e^{-i\omega t}+12\psi_{0}^{2}e^{-1i\omega t}+12\psi_{1}^{2}e^{i\omega t}+16\sqrt{2}\psi_{2}\psi_{1}+16\psi_{0}\psi_{2}$$
and since $$\psi_{0}$$, $$\psi_{2}$$ and $$\psi_{1}$$ are all orthogonal to each other we get:
$$12\psi_{0}^{2}e^{-i\omega t}+12\psi_{1}^{2}e^{i\omega t}$$
Is that the correct process of thinking, I get the solution but I just want to make sure I got the right methodology.

1. What is the main focus of Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Physics 2.13.B?

The main focus of this section is on the quantum mechanics of spin, specifically in the context of the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

2. How does Griffiths explain the concept of spin in quantum mechanics?

Griffiths explains spin as an intrinsic property of particles, similar to mass or charge, that determines how they behave in a magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment in quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment was one of the first experiments to demonstrate the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in particles, providing evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics.

4. How does Griffiths introduce the concept of spin operators?

Griffiths introduces spin operators as mathematical tools used to describe the behavior of spin in quantum mechanics, similar to how position and momentum operators describe the behavior of particles in space.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding spin in quantum mechanics?

Understanding spin in quantum mechanics has led to the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics, which have numerous applications in medicine and electronic devices.