Showing f is a solution to quantum oscillator SWE

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian operator for a 1-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator and the wave function for the nth state. The problem at hand is to show that a new function, fn, is a solution to the low energy Schrodinger Wave Equation. This can be done by letting the Hamiltonian operator act on fn and showing that it reduces to (En - ħω)fn. This will require some manipulation and use of the fact that Hψn = Enψn.
infinitylord

Homework Statement

For a 1-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator, the Hamiltonian operator is of the form:
H = -ħ2/2m ∂xx + 1/2 mω2x2
and
n = Enψn = (n+1/2)ħωψn

where ψn is the wave function of the nth state.

defining a new function fn to be:

fn = xψn + ħ/mω ∂xψn

show that fn is a solution to the low energy SWE. I.e. that:

Hfn = (En - ħω)fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that:
ψn = Cne-mωx2/2Hn(x)
where Hn(x) is an nth order Hermite Polynomial.
I was wondering what the procedure for determining this would be. I'm assuming I could plug this expression for ψn into the expression for fn, and then apply the Hamiltonian operator. But I'm not sure how that would simplify, and it also seems very complicated to plug in. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are meant to let the operator H act on the expression for fn and show that Hfn reduces to (En - ħω)fn.

It will require a fair amount of manipulation and use of the fact that Hψn = Enψn. But nothing else is needed.

Last edited:

1. What is the quantum oscillator SWE?

The quantum oscillator SWE stands for quantum oscillator Schrödinger wave equation. It is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum harmonic oscillator, which is a system that oscillates around a stable equilibrium position in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the quantum oscillator SWE derived?

The quantum oscillator SWE can be derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. By applying specific boundary conditions to the Schrödinger equation, we can obtain the quantum oscillator SWE.

3. What does it mean for f to be a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE?

If f is a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE, it means that it satisfies the equation and accurately describes the behavior of the quantum oscillator. This means that f can be used to predict the position, momentum, and energy of the quantum oscillator at any given time.

4. How do we show that f is a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE?

To show that f is a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE, we can substitute f into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. This means that f must satisfy the differential equation and any boundary conditions that are applied to the equation.

5. Why is it important to show that f is a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE?

It is important to show that f is a solution to the quantum oscillator SWE because it confirms that f accurately describes the behavior of the quantum oscillator. This allows us to make predictions and understand the properties of the quantum oscillator, which is essential in many areas of physics and engineering.