1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grin Lenses vs Convex

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    I am interested in comparing the effectiveness of GRIN lenses vs aspheric-convex ones for collimating laser beams. I can imagine some practical advantages however I would be interested in any information comparing the advantage of one method over the other from an optical standpoint.

Thanks,
    Fritz

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have limited experience using those devices; AFAIK they are only required for very specific applications. What is your specification for collimation, and why can't you use a pinhole/plano-convex lens?

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    Andy
    we are setting up a delicate fiber laser focusing system. The beam is being crunched down from 4mm to about .05mm. This will be deployed in a mecahnically rough (marine) envirionment. The commercial grin lens devices are attractive, self contained etc. But from a technical point of view my understanding, which is somewhat dated, is that some basic bi-convex lens constructs can superceed the quality of a grin lens with regards to spherical ab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook