1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground and Excited States in a Potential Well (QM)

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    Here's the problem:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/karch/324/2007/hw3.pdf

Just the first one.

Okay, so my understanding is that the first state of Psi (ground state) is just an arc, like a Gaussian distribution, starting from 0 at E0 and finishing at 5a also at the level of E0.

The next ones are just sine waves at higher frequencies.

So would I just draw a high frequency sine wave of amplitude E0 until I get to the "jump" at 2a, and then just decrease the the amplitude that that point, but keep the frequency the same?

Or since the frequency corresponds to energy, and I don't have as much of a jump from E0 to the bottom of the well, I should keep the amplitude constant the whole time, but decrease the frequency once I get to the "jump" at 2a?

The book only mentions an infinite square well and doesn't really go into it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    Sorry, but I still haven't figured this one out.

Is the energy level 0 meaningless here, since a particle can't get below the ground state (E0) in energy?

So it would be a high-frequency sine wave with the amplitude being from E to E0? I still don't see the significance of the potential jump in the middle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?