Ground state energy for hydrogen-like “atom”

In summary, it was found that the ground state wavefunction for a hydrogen-like atom with nuclear charge Ze is spherically symmetric and has the form: ψ(r)=Aexp(−αr). It was found that the normalization constant A in terms of α is given by: A=α√{square root over (2)} and α was found by using Eq.3 in the lecture note (Ch.9 pg 4).
Andy123

Homework Statement

For a hydrogen-like “atom” (e.g., He+ ion), with nuclear charge Ze, it is claimed that the the ground-state wavefunction is spherically symmetric and is given by ψ(r)=Aexp(−αr) , where A and α are constant. (a) Determine the normalization constant A in terms of α. (b) Determine α by making use of (Eq.3) in the lecture note (Ch.9 pg 4). Note that you need to make some change in the equation before applying it to this system. Hence, find the ground state energy.

The mentioned equation here is attached below. The R in the equation refers to ψ(r) and l is the orbital quantum number[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can finish part a) but for part b), i substitute ψ(r)=Aexp(−αr) and try to solve for α. It comes up with the following result and I am stuck. please help![/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.32.18 am.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.32.18 am.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 20150329_004817.jpg
    20150329_004817.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to read your handwriting, can you write it here (as text or with LaTeX)?
You know l for the ground state, that allows to simplify the equation significantly.

Hi, Andy. Welcome to PF!

Looks like you dropped a factor of ##\hbar## in going from the first to second line.

Look at your 6th line (before you solved for ##\alpha##). Note that it must be satisfied for all values of ##r## even though ##\alpha## is a constant.

Last edited:
mfb said:
It is hard to read your handwriting, can you write it here (as text or with LaTeX)?
You know l for the ground state, that allows to simplify the equation significantly.
I'm sorry my hand-writing is a bit messy. I will try to learn how to use LaTex

TSny said:
Hi, Andy. Welcome to PF!

Looks like you dropped a factor of ##\hbar## in going from the first to second line.

Look at your 6th line (before you solved for ##\alpha##). Note that it must be satisfied for all values of ##r## even though ##\alpha## is a constant.
I understand that ##\alpha## is a constant and when i solve it, it somehow seems like to depend on r. And when i check my calculations, it seems to be ok except that ##\hbar## part. What shall i do? Can i just randomly let r be any number i want?

For the correct α, the equation does not depend on r any more. Or, in other words, the derivative of "something=0" with respect to r will be zero.

Andy123 said:
I understand that ##\alpha## is a constant and when i solve it, it somehow seems like to depend on r. And when i check my calculations, it seems to be ok except that ##\hbar## part. What shall i do? Can i just randomly let r be any number i want?
Right. ##\alpha## can't depend on ##r##. This fact actually determines the value of ##\alpha##. By examining your 6th equation, can you see a way for the two terms that depend on ##r## to cancel out?

TSny said:
Right. ##\alpha## can't depend on ##r##. This fact actually determines the value of ##\alpha##. By examining your 6th equation, can you see a way for the two terms that depend on ##r## to cancel out?
since ##\alpha##. doesn't depends on ##r## and ##E## doesn't depend on ##r## too, the only way to cancel them is to put those two terms to be zero when added up and then i can solve for ##\alpha##.?

Yes, I think that's right. Combine the two terms that contain ##r## and see if you can make the combined term vanish.

Yes. I can find the answer now. Thanks all of you!:smile::smile::smile:

1. What is the ground state energy for a hydrogen-like atom?

The ground state energy for a hydrogen-like atom is the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom. It is also known as the energy of the atom's lowest energy level or the energy of the atom's ground state.

2. How is the ground state energy of a hydrogen-like atom calculated?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen-like atom can be calculated using the Rydberg equation, which takes into account the atomic number, charge, and mass of the atom. It is represented by the equation E = -13.6/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number.

3. What is the significance of the ground state energy for a hydrogen-like atom?

The ground state energy is significant because it represents the most stable state of an atom. It is the starting point for understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, such as their chemical reactivity and spectral lines.

4. How does the ground state energy of a hydrogen-like atom differ from other energy levels?

The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy level for an electron in a hydrogen-like atom, while other energy levels have higher energies. Electrons can only move to higher energy levels by absorbing or emitting energy in the form of photons.

5. Can the ground state energy of a hydrogen-like atom be changed?

No, the ground state energy of a hydrogen-like atom is a fixed value and cannot be changed. However, the energy of an atom can be altered by external factors, such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields.