1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group and Phase velocity of wave packet

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    OK, I think I understand the problem, I'm just a little confused on some pieces in the middle.

Consider a wave packet formed by the superposition of two waves
    psi1=cos(1.00x-2.00t) <--1.00=k, 2.00=w
    psi2=cos(1.01x-2.03t) <--1.01=k, 2.03=w
    where x and t are measured in meters and seconds respectively. What is the Phase velocity?
    What is the group velocity?

We know:
    Vp= w/k

-To find the Vp, can we simply say that Vp=2.00/1.00=2.00m/s?

Now, to find the Group Velocity, we can use the suerposition principle and find the net wave by the sum of the two individual waves (psi1 + psi2) which gives us

psi=2cos(1.00*1.01)x*cos(-2.00*-2.03)t = 2cos(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t

thus Vg=dw/dk= -(2/1.01)sin(1.01)x*cos(4.06)t - (2/4.06)doc(1.01)x*sin(.06)t?

Is this correct? Is the partial derivative correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good enough. For the 2nd wave it's slightly different, but 2.00 m/s is fine.

It doesn't make sense for Vg to be a function of x and t.

There's a simpler approach to find Vg. You have w and k at two points. What's a good approximation for the slope of the w-k curve near those two points?
  4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Hmm...I'm not sure why I put that but I think I meant to say cos(1.01)x.

I see what you mean by a slope being much easier, but I'm not sure how to apporximate the curve. Our text only shows that the Vg=delta(w)/delta(k) which can be approximated by differentials.

-OK, w and k are at two points, one in the first wave and nother in the second. So can you say that the slope is just (-2.03--2.00)/(1.01-1.00)= -3?

-Can group velocity be negative if the phase velocity is positive?
  5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right idea, but use the values of w you had in post #1: +2.03 and +2.00.
  6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    Ah, I see. Thank you for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?