Group Isomorphic to Weak Product of Normal

In summary: I am not sure I follow this. I was under the impression that the weak product was a special case of the direct product, so of course multiplication would be defined as it is in the general direct product. My book (Hungerford) actually proves this theorem, but sadly they refrain from proving that the map the use is a homomorphism. I have included in this post a screenshot of Hungerford's proof; everything before the red line is what Hungerford has proved up to this point. Hopefully this clears up any confusion about what I am trying to do.Hungerford's proof of the theoremOkay. I have found the error in my proof. The definition of ##\phi## should have been $$\phi \Big
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##\{N_i ~|~ i \in I\}## be family of normal subgroups of G such that

(i) ##G = \left\langle \bigcup_{i \in I} N_i \right\rangle##

(ii) for each ##k \in I##, ##N_k \cap \left\langle \bigcup_{i \neq k} N_i \right\rangle = \{e\}##

Then ##G \simeq \prod_{i \in I}^w N_i##, where ##\prod_{i \in I}^w## denotes the weak product.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. Consider ##\phi : \prod_{i \in I}^w N_i \rightarrow G## defined by ##\phi((a_i)_{i \in I}) = \prod_{i \in I_0} a_i##, where ##I_0 = \{i \in I ~|~ a_i \neq e \}## (define ##J_0## similarly for the element ##(b_i)_{i \in I} \in \prod_{i \in I} N_i##)

Okay. I am trying to show this is a homomorphism; i.e.,

$$\phi \Bigg((a_i)_{i \in I}(b_i)_{i \in I}) \Bigg) = \prod_{i \in I_0} a_i \prod_{i \in J_0} b_i$$

Note that ##\phi \Bigg((a_i)_{i \in I}(b_i)_{i \in I}) \Bigg) = \prod_{i \in I_0 \cup J_0} a_ib_i##. Since ##I_0 \cup J_0## is finite, we may WLOG take it to be ##\{1,...,n\}##. Hence,

$$\phi \Bigg((a_i)_{i \in I}(b_i)_{i \in I}) \Bigg) = a_1b_1...a_nb_n$$.

This is where I am stuck. I am trying to show that I can I group the ##a_i##'s and ##b_i##'s together through induction, but I am having trouble. For ##n=2##, we have ##a_1b_1a_2b_2 = a_1b_1a_2b_1^{-1}b_1b_2 = a_1 a_3b_1b_2##, which is allowed because these group elements come from normal subgroups, and this is close to what we want. However, ##\phi ((a_i)_{i \in I})) \neq a_1a_3##!

If I am not mistaken, condition (ii) implies commutativity among the family of normal subgroups of ##\{N_i \}##, but I am not sure how to utilize this in my proof. Perhaps I am just too tired at the moment...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you define a weak product? Also, why do you have to introduce ##I_0## and ##J_0##? ##a_i=e## shouldn't change the argument. And you have nowhere mentioned that ##I## is countable. So how would an induction help? And if, then I wouldn't omit the automorphisms involved in semi-direct products, i.e. ##a_3=\sigma_1(b_1)(a_2)##. Not sure whether this helps or is more of a burden, if all of them are used in the definition of ##\phi##. My guess is, that a categorial proof could be easier, and that's why I asked for a proper definition of the weak product, preferably in terms of commuting diagrams.

I introduce (actually, my book does) ##I_0## and ##J_0## so I know which components of ##(a_i)_{i \in I}## and ##(b_i)_{i \in I}## are nonidentity; and because I thought that I needed to to induction on the size of ##I_0 \cup J_0##. The set ##I## is not necessarily countable, but I am not doing induction on ##I## but rather on the finite set ##I_0 \cup J_0##.

Here is the definition of weak product: The weak direct product of a family of groups ##\{G_i ~|~ i \in I\}##, denoted by ##\prod_{i \in I}^w G_i##, is the set of all ##f \in \prod_{i \in I} G_i## such that ##f(i) = e_i##, the identity of ##G_i##, for all but a finite number of ##i \in I##.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
such that f(i)=eif(i) = e_i, the identity of GiG_i, for all but a finite number of i∈Ii \in I.
perhaps ##f(i)\ne e_i## for finite number of ##i##-s?

zwierz said:
perhaps ##f(i)\ne e_i## for finite number of ##i##-s?

I just checked my book and it is accurate as I have quoted it.

Bashyboy said:
I just checked my book and it is accurate as I have quoted it.
well then perhaps your book explains also what an infinite composition of elements from ##G## is

Regarding your initial question
Let ##G= \langle N_1\cup N_2\rangle## and ##a_1,b_1\in N_1,\quad a_2,b_2\in N_2##
Consider the following expression ##u=a_1a_2b_1b_2## By definition of a normal subgroup there exist an element ##\xi\in N_1## such that ##a_2b_1=\xi a_2##

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
I introduce (actually, my book does) ##I_0## and ##J_0## so I know which components of ##(a_i)_{i \in I}## and ##(b_i)_{i \in I}## are nonidentity; and because I thought that I needed to to induction on the size of ##I_0 \cup J_0##. The set ##I## is not necessarily countable, but I am not doing induction on ##I## but rather on the finite set ##I_0 \cup J_0##.

The basic problem of your attempt is, that you consider the weak product of the ##N_\iota## as a direct product, i.e. you try to define the multiplication componentwise, whereas the multiplication in ##G## is not. So in order to establish a homomorphism, you have to use the same multiplication rules on both sides, i.e. define an appropriate group structure on ##\Pi^\omega_\iota N_\iota##. Maybe it's easier the other way around, but I'm not sure, since you also have to deal with well-definition. In any case I still think you have to keep track of transpositions in ##\Pi^\omega_\iota N_\iota## during multiplication.

fresh_42 said:
The basic problem of your attempt is, that you consider the weak product of the ##N_\iota## as a direct product, i.e. you try to define the multiplication componentwise, whereas the multiplication in ##G## is not. So in order to establish a homomorphism, you have to use the same multiplication rules on both sides, i.e. define an appropriate group structure on ##\Pi^\omega_\iota N_\iota##. Maybe it's easier the other way around, but I'm not sure, since you also have to deal with well-definition. In any case I still think you have to keep track of transpositions in ##\Pi^\omega_\iota N_\iota## during multiplication.

I am not sure I follow this. I was under the impression that the weak product was a special case of the direct product, so of course multiplication would be defined as it is in the general direct product. My book (Hungerford) actually proves this theorem, but sadly they refrain from proving that the map the use is a homomorphism. I have included in this post a screenshot of Hungerford's proof.
Capture.PNG

What does it mean for a group to be isomorphic to the weak product of its normal subgroups?

When a group G is isomorphic to the weak product of its normal subgroups H and K, it means that G can be written as the direct product of H and K, and the normal subgroups H and K commute with each other.

How is the weak product of normal subgroups related to the direct product of groups?

The weak product of normal subgroups is a generalization of the direct product of groups. While the direct product requires the subgroups to be normal and commute with each other, the weak product allows for non-normal subgroups and does not require them to commute.

What are some examples of groups that are isomorphic to the weak product of their normal subgroups?

One example is the group of quaternions, which is isomorphic to the weak product of the normal subgroups {1,-1} and {1,-1,i,-i,j,-j,k,-k}. Another example is the symmetric group of degree 4, which is isomorphic to the weak product of the normal subgroups {(),(12),(34),(12)(34)} and {(),(13),(24),(13)(24)}.

Why is the concept of isomorphism between groups important in mathematics?

Isomorphism is important because it allows us to study different groups by finding similarities between them. It also helps us to classify groups and understand their structures.

Are there any practical applications for the concept of isomorphism between groups?

Yes, isomorphism is used in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of symmetry in geometric figures, in coding theory, and in quantum mechanics. It also has applications in computer science and cryptography.