Solving Simple Group Problem: Subset of Normal Subgroup of Index 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a group ##G'## and a homomorphism ##\phi## from ##G## to ##G'.## It is assumed that ##G## is simple, ##|G| \neq 2##, and ##G'## has a normal subgroup ##N## of index 2. The goal is to show that ##\phi (G) \subseteq N##. The conversation explores different cases, such as the possibility of ##ker(\phi)## being ##G## or ##\{1\}##. It is suggested to consider what can be done with ##N## and ##\phi(G)##, as well as the quotient group ##G'/N
A.Magnus
I am working on myself on a problem looks like this:

Let ##G'## be a group and let ##\phi## be a homomorphism from ##G## to ##G'.## Assume that ##G## is simple, that ##|G| \neq 2##, and that ##G'## has a normal subgroup ##N## of index 2. Show that ##\phi (G) \subseteq N##.

I have been asking around and here is what I got so far:
(1) Since ##G'## is simple group, ##G'## does not have any non-trivial normal subgroup.
(2) Since ##ker(\phi)## is a normal subgroup of ##G##, therefore it is either ##ker (\phi) = G## or ##ker (\phi) = \{1\}.##
(3) In the first case, ##ker (\phi) = G## means ##\phi (G) = 1 ##, and therefore ##\phi (G) \subseteq N## and we are done.
(4) In the second case, ##ker (\phi) = \{1\}## means that ##\phi## is injective and therefore ##\phi (G) \cong G.## This reduces the problem into proving that ##(G) \subseteq N##.
(5) ...

And after that I am totally stuck, would appreciate any friendly and line-by-line befitting a person still in learning stage. Thank you for your time and help. Happy holidays.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking about what can you do with N and ##\phi(G)##

PeroK said:
Try thinking about what can you do with N and ##\phi(G)##

Also think about ##G'/N##.

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that for any element in the larger group, when it is multiplied by an element in the normal subgroup, the result will still be in the normal subgroup.

2. What does it mean for a subgroup to have index 2?

When a subgroup has index 2, it means that the quotient group (the group formed by dividing the larger group by the subgroup) has only two elements. This indicates that the subgroup is a significant part of the larger group and has a strong influence on its structure.

3. How do you solve a simple group problem involving a subset of a normal subgroup of index 2?

To solve this problem, you first need to identify the normal subgroup of index 2. Then, you can use the properties of normal subgroups to simplify the problem. This often involves looking at the cosets of the subgroup and finding a subgroup that is isomorphic to the quotient group.

4. What is the significance of a normal subgroup of index 2?

A normal subgroup of index 2 is significant because it divides the larger group into only two distinct cosets. This means that it has a strong influence on the structure of the group and can provide insight into its properties and relationships with other subgroups.

5. Can a subgroup of a normal subgroup also be a normal subgroup?

Yes, a subgroup of a normal subgroup can also be a normal subgroup. This is known as a nested normal subgroup and is a common occurrence in group theory.