1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of inner automorphisms is isomorphic to a quotient

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##G## be any group. Recall that the center of ##G##, or ##Z(G)## is ##\{ x \in G ~ | ~ xg =
    gx, ~ \forall g \in G\}##. Show that ##G / Z(G)## is isomorphic to ##Inn(G)##, the group of inner automorphisms of ##G## by ##g##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure where to get started. I know that I am trying to find a particular isomorphism, but not sure how to find what that isomorphism must be, or whether that map will go from ##G / Z(G)## to ##Inn(G)## or the other way around.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Can you establish a surjective homomorphism ##G \twoheadrightarrow Inn(G)\;##?

4. Mar 8, 2017 #3
    Define a general element of ##Inn(G)## to be ##\varphi_g(x) = gxg^{-1}##

Would ##\mu : G \rightarrow Inn(G)## where ##\mu (g) = \varphi_g## be a surjection?

5. Mar 8, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes, because every inner automorphism (=conjugation) looks like a ##\mu (g)##, so ##g## is the pre-imange. Now what is the kernel of ##\mu##?

6. Mar 8, 2017 #5
    Scratch that

##Ker( \mu ) = Z(G)##

7. Mar 8, 2017 #6

fresh_42

No. ##\{e\} \subseteq \ker \mu## but not necessarily the entire kernel. The kernel is defined as the set of all elements that maps to ##e'## in the codomain. Now what is this ##e'## then and what does it mean, that ##\mu ## maps an element ##g## on it?

8. Mar 8, 2017 #7
    Sorry, I made a mistake and was too slow to correct. I think that ##Ker (\mu ) = Z(G)##

Will the fundamental homomorphism theorem be used?

9. Mar 8, 2017 #8

fresh_42

Not sure what this theorem is, but sounds right. How do you now, that ##\ker \mu = Z(G)\,##? This is the essential part of the proof, so you should drop a line on it.

10. Mar 8, 2017 #9
    ##\ker \mu = \{x \in G ~ | ~ \mu (x) = \mu (e) \} = \{x \in G ~ | ~ \varphi_x = \varphi_e \} = \{x \in G ~ | ~ \varphi_x (g) = \varphi_e (g), ~ \forall g \in G \} = \{x \in G ~ | ~ x g x^{-1} = g, ~ \forall g \in G \} = \{x \in G ~ | ~ xg = gx, ~ \forall g \in G\} = Z(G)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted