1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Group Theory] Constructing Cayley Graph from Given Relations

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that there exists a group of order 21 having two generators [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] for which [itex]s^3 = I[/itex] and [itex]sts^{-1} = t^2[/itex]. Do this exercise by constructing the graph of the group.

2. Relevant equations
    Based on the given relations, we have [itex]t^7 = I[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since ##s## and ##t## have periods of 3 and 7, respectively, I know that the graph can be based on either 3 heptagons or 7 triangles. The back of the book has a solution based on 7 triangles, but I would like to construct a graph based on heptagons for some much-needed practice. I see that I need three concentric heptagons to give the 21 elements of the group. However, I am having a hard time understanding how to connect the vertices of the heptagons to satisfy [itex]sts^{-1} = t^2[/itex]. I have had similar issues with the graphs of simpler groups which I solved by brute force. However, this group is complex enough that I do not want to do that. Is there some algorithmic way of seeing how the vertices must be connected by [itex]s[/itex]? If not, how do I go about figuring out the proper configuration?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that s has to connect a vertex of one heptagon to a vertex in a different heptagon. For sts-1 = t2 to hold, then going from one heptagon to the next, taking a step around in the t direction, then coming back to the first heptagon is the same as taking two steps around the original heptagon.

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3
    I figured it out! For some reason, I didn't realize that it didn't matter which two vertices you connect first, since from there you derive the rest. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted