Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory - Help in learning

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    Hi, I'm going through a group theory text on my own, as it is not formally covered in my undergrad curriculum. I've had a good (multiple course) background in the basics, differential equations, linear algebra with Hilbert spaces, etc., in my undergrad coursework in my physics major. I'd like to use this thread in asking some questions in group theory, as I'm learning it from the textbook.

Here is my first question:

Prove: If q and p are prime then the cyclic group of order q*p can be factorized into the direct product of cyclic groups of order q and order p

(Symbolically) Prove: [tex]Z_{qp} = Z_q \times Z_p[/tex]

Since this problem was introduced right after they established the representation where any element in the cyclic group can be represented by a power of [tex]a = exp(2i\pi/N)[/tex], where N is the order of the group, I tried expressing [tex]Z_n = exp(2i\pi/n)[/tex] and then verifying the two sides... and I'm not getting an equality. I'm wondering how to prove it?
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the ingredient you're missing is the Chinese remainder theorem. (Link containing a relevant result.)

By the way, there is a important subtlety you should be aware of: [itex]Z_{qp} = Z_q \times Z_p[/itex] is not an actual equality - it's an isomorphism.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?