1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Velocity and Phase Velocity

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Obtain the group velocity [tex]v_g[/tex] and phase velocity [tex]v_p[/tex] of 7.0 MeV protons/electrons. Write each answer as a multiple of the speed of light [tex]c[/tex].

My work:

1. Finding the group velocity:

[tex]v_g = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k} = \frac{\partial \left( E / \hbar \right)}{\partial \left( p / \hbar \right)} = \frac{\partial E}{\partial p}[/tex]

[tex]v_g = \frac{\partial E}{\partial p} = \frac{\partial}{\partial p} \left( \sqrt{p^2c^2 + m^2c^4} - mc^2 \right) = \frac{pc^2}{\sqrt{p^2c^2 + m^2c^4}}[/tex]

[tex]v_g = \frac{pc}{\sqrt{\left( pc \right) ^2 + \left( mc^2 \right) ^2}} \times c[/tex]

If [tex]E = pc = 7.0 \times 10 ^6 \mbox{ eV}[/tex] and the mass of protons and electrons are known, it is possible to obtain [tex]v_g[/tex].

Assuming

[tex]m = 938.27 \mbox{ MeV}/c^2[/tex] for a proton
    [tex]m = 0.51100 \mbox{ MeV}/c^2[/tex] for an electron

the values [tex]v_g \approx 0.007460 \times c[/tex] (for protons) and [tex]v_g \approx 0.9973 \times c[/tex] (for electrons) are obtained.

2. The phase velocity is simply

[tex]v_p = \frac{c^2}{v_g} = \frac{c}{v_g} \times c[/tex].

I believe there is a mistake in my approach; those numbers don't look right. Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    Why the -mc2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?