1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guassian Probability density function

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The PDF (probability density function) of a Gaussian variable x is given by.

$$p_x(x)=\frac{1}{C \sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{\frac{-(x-4)^2}{18}}$$

a) Find C
    b)find the probability of x≥2 --> ##P(x≥2)##

2. Relevant equations

$$ \frac{dF_X(x)}{dx} x=P(x<X≤x+Δx)$$

3. The attempt at a solution

So i get stuck on how to solve the above for C. I have an example of a similar problem that my professor did in class but it skips a lot of steps that I need to see to fully understand. It seems like he started with taking the integral of the signal by using an integral table?

In my text book I do see that the above is a standard of a gaussian or normal probability density. It looks someting like this.

$$p_X(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-x^2}{2}$$
    $$F_X(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{x} e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx$$

Any hints on where to start?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    The parameter C is the standard deviation.
    The denominator of the power of the exponent is equal to 2(C^2).
    Hence C = 3, as 2 times 9 is 18.

[tex]p_x(x)=\frac{1}{3 \sqrt{2\pi}}e^{\frac{-(x-4)^2}{18}}[/tex]

My approach to this was to look at the formula given on this wikipedia page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

To find the probability of x=2 I think maybe we could substitute.

[tex]p_x(2)=\frac{1}{3 \sqrt{2\pi}}e^{\frac{-(2-4)^2}{18}}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[\tex]
    was trying some latex here. semi-success.

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4
    Substituted the value for x=2 in my Casio and I get 0.1064826685.
    Will try and plot in Mathematica for confirmation.

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5
    Have plotted them :)

The files are attached to this post. Need to work out how to get them to flash up here.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 31, 2013 #6
    Plotted :)

Not sure quite how to embed the image so that it appears in this post. But its attached & the hand-calculated value looks reasonable :)

GaussianPhysForum.gif

GaussianPhysForumzoom.gif

yes! Think this is how its done.

8. Mar 31, 2013 #7
    Wow it was really that simple! I had that equation written down right on the scratch pad where I was working this problem and didnt see that I guess.

To find the probability I followed that other example that simply used the ##Q(x)## function. And then take the result and look up the probability in the table that goes along with that function.

For reference the function looks like this (from my text) ## Q(x)= \frac{1}{x \sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}##

Thanks for the help AugustCrawl!

9. Mar 31, 2013 #8
    Oh btw a little note. Your latex code looks ok. If you use those tage be sure to use "[\itex]" i think your just leaving out the i. Or you can use two dollar signs $$ before and after for a separate line of code or two hash tags ## for code to be on the same line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted