1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guass's law nonconducting plates

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two very large, nonconducting plastic sheets, each 10.0 cm thick, carry uniform charge densities \sigma_{1}, \sigma_{2}, \sigma_{3}, and \sigma_{4} on their surfaces, as shown in the figure . These surface charge densities have the values sigma_{1}= -6.00microC/m^{2}, \sigma_{2}= +5.00 micro C}/m}^{2}, sigma_{3}= +2.00 micro C}/m}^{2}, and \sigma_{4}= +4.00 micro C}/m}^{2}.

1.Use Gauss's law to find the magnitude of the electric field at the point A, 5.00 cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet.

2.Find the direction of the electric field at the point A.

3.Find the magnitude of the electric field at the point B, 1.25 cm} from the inner surface of the right-hand sheet.

4.Find the direction of the electric field at the point B.

5.Find the magnitude of the electric field at the point C, in the middle of the right-hand sheet.

6.Find the direction of the electric field at the point C.

2. Relevant equations
    E=(1/4*pi*epsilonnaut)(q/R^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure how to set this problem up. I'm not sure if all the charges act on each point

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the field from a point charge--you won't need that for this problem.

Use Gauss's law to find the field from a sheet of charge. Then add up all the fields at each point in question.

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    I know we have to use E=sigma/2epsilon, but I'm not sure which fields (1 and/or 2 and/or 3 and/or 4) to add together for point A for example.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They all count--add them all. (Be careful with their direction and sign.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook