Guidelines so that I can get started with Reactor physics?

I have completed Calculus 1,2,3. I havent yet completed differential equations.What other courses do I have to take to get started?
I know that there are difficult topics in reactor physics like neutron transport equation.So,it would be really helpful if you can give some guidelines so that I can learn all of it by myself
Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I have completed Calculus 1,2,3. I havent yet completed differential equations.What other courses do I have to take to get started?
I know that there are difficult topics in reactor physics like neutron transport equation.So,it would be really helpful if you can give some guidelines so that I can learn all of it by myself
Thanks in advance
Don't your school have an outline of the curriculum for your program? Don't you have an academic advisor that you can direct this question to?

Zz.

Don't your school have an outline of the curriculum for your program? Don't you have an academic advisor that you can direct this question to?

Zz.
No,I cant.I cant explain here the situation I am in.Thats why Im asking here

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
No,I cant.I cant explain here the situation I am in.Thats why Im asking here
This doesn't make any sense. Even if you can't ask anyone, surely your school has an outline of the curriculum!

Worst case scenario that you somehow can't find it, or it doesn't exist, then look at the programs at other schools. They may not be identical to what you need, but at least you have an idea of the type of courses that a typical NE undergraduate will go through.

I did a quick check at UW-Madison, which has an established NE program, and I easily found this:

https://www.engr.wisc.edu/app/uploads/2017/09/NE-UGguide_Fall2017_09.24.17_fnl.pdf
http://guide.wisc.edu/courses/n_e/

So did you look and search?

Zz.

rpp
I don't think there is a straight answer to your question. Different nuclear engineering courses will require different math backgrounds. The material in the sophomore level classes will generally not require differential equations (DE's). Material in the junior level classes will generally require DE's, but you might be able to get by if the instructor gives you the general forms of the solutions for the DE's. Once you get to your senior level courses, you will be expected to have DE's.

To find out which math courses are required for each course, your best bet is to look up the course in the university catalog.