Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

H2O2 in H20, Stability

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    Does H2O2 stay stable once diluted in Water kept at 5-10 degrees. If so for how long?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't.
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    I am attempting to clean a screen with H2O2 based on the manufacturers recomendations. I am mixing a 6% solution of H2O2 (50% conc) and water. I trust I should be able to count on 6% for a few hours! Am I wrong:(
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It'll last that long. Don't cap it tightly. As the peroxide works on the stuff on the screen and the screen itself, the concentration will go down. You should see bubbles on the screen throughout the process.

Piranha etch. It works!
  6. Dec 10, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My previous company produced it in batch quantities at 1% and stored it for a 4 days at the most at room temperature. It isn't that interesting at low concentrations however there are all sorts of problems with it at high concentrations - be certain to not get it on flammable surfaces e.g. wood and even leather shoes if you are wearing one even a few drips may cause it to catch fire.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?