Increasing the concentration of 30% H2O2

In summary: I was thinking of increasing the concentration by freezing out some of the water, but I see now that this would also increase the concentration.
rwooduk
Hi, I am in the process of calibrating our GC and one of the products we expect to find in our experiment is H2O2, but we only have 30% H2O2 in the lab. I can test 5% to 25% by dissolving further in water, so I can get some sort of calibration curve, but I'm stuck at 30%, is there a simple way to reduce the water content of the H2O2? I realize that H2O2 in more pure form can be quite dangerous but I can't find it in the
Illegal/Dangerous chemical activities thread, so I'm assuming its ok to ask this here.

Is there a safe limit? I am going to be injecting it into a GC, are there any precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Hi, I am in the process of calibrating our GC and one of the products we expect to find in our experiment is H2O2, but we only have 30% H2O2 in the lab. I can test 5% to 25% by dissolving further in water, so I can get some sort of calibration curve, but I'm stuck at 30%, is there a simple way to reduce the water content of the H2O2? I realize that H2O2 in more pure form can be quite dangerous but I can't find it in the
Illegal/Dangerous chemical activities thread, so I'm assuming its ok to ask this here.

Is there a safe limit? I am going to be injecting it into a GC, are there any precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance for any help.
You can find what is called "high-test peroxide" from some vendors, but this stuff is basically rocket fuel and you may not be able to purchase it off the street without authorization.

Food-grade peroxide goes to 35% concentration. Buying anything with higher concentration could get you put on a TSA watchlist for people sniffing around sensitive chemicals.

You also shouldn't try to distill a lower concentration peroxide to a higher concentration becuz all the oxygen is a fire hazard and this stuff is dangerous to sensitive tissues, like your eyeballs. People who work with high concentration peroxide should be wearing their HAZMAT suits to prevent exposure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-test_peroxide

Likes rwooduk and jim mcnamara
SteamKing said:
You can find what is called "high-test peroxide" from some vendors, but this stuff is basically rocket fuel and you may not be able to purchase it off the street without authorization.

Food-grade peroxide goes to 35% concentration. Buying anything with higher concentration could get you put on a TSA watchlist for people sniffing around sensitive chemicals.

You also shouldn't try to distill a lower concentration peroxide to a higher concentration becuz all the oxygen is a fire hazard and this stuff is dangerous to sensitive tissues, like your eyeballs. People who work with high concentration peroxide should be wearing their HAZMAT suits to prevent exposure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-test_peroxide

Hi, thanks very much for the info! I've read some of the wiki article it seems quite hazardous, think I will forgo trying to make the stuff and discuss with my supervisor about getting some from a supplier. Thanks again.

Why don't you dilute your samples to fall within the 30% range? A very simple solution (pun intended) to your problem.

Kevin McHugh said:
Why don't you dilute your samples to fall within the 30% range? A very simple solution (pun intended) to your problem.

OP wants to extend the calibration to concentrations over 30%, and 30% is the starting material. I don't see how dilution applies.

Borek said:
OP wants to extend the calibration to concentrations over 30%, and 30% is the starting material. I don't see how dilution applies.

He can dilute his unknown samples down to fall with the max 30% H2O2 limit. If his samples are on the order of 60%, a 1:3 dilution puts him right at 15% hydrogen peroxide, right in the middle of the calibration curve.

Ah OK, you mean diluting the samples during the analysis, not the ones used for the calibration curve preparation. I misread your post.

I think you can increase the concentration freezing out some of the water.

DrDu said:
I think you can increase the concentration freezing out some of the water.

Dilution of the samples is so much easier.

Kevin McHugh said:
Dilution of the samples is so much easier.
Admittedly!

What is the purpose of increasing the concentration of 30% H2O2?

The purpose of increasing the concentration of 30% H2O2 is to make the solution more potent and effective for various chemical reactions and applications. Higher concentrations of H2O2 can provide faster and more intense reactions, making it useful for industrial and laboratory processes.

What factors affect the concentration of 30% H2O2?

The concentration of 30% H2O2 can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can influence the rate of decomposition of H2O2 and therefore impact its concentration.

How is the concentration of 30% H2O2 measured?

The concentration of 30% H2O2 can be measured using various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis. These methods involve accurately measuring the amount of H2O2 present in a given volume of solution and calculating its concentration.

What are the safety precautions when handling high concentrations of H2O2?

High concentrations of H2O2 can be hazardous and should be handled with caution. Safety precautions include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper storage and disposal procedures. It is also important to be aware of the potential reactions and hazards associated with H2O2 when handling high concentrations.

Can the concentration of 30% H2O2 be increased indefinitely?

No, the concentration of 30% H2O2 cannot be increased indefinitely. H2O2 has a maximum concentration limit of 100%, beyond which it is unstable and can decompose explosively. It is also important to consider the practical and economic limitations of increasing the concentration beyond a certain point.