Half-Life of He-6 Nucleus: 40 GeV

  • Thread starter Thread starter sawhai
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Half life Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
sawhai
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The question asks: "What is the half-life of a He-6 nucleus with total(kinetic+rest) energy E=40 GeV?"

How can we approach this problem?


Homework Equations



E=mc2 ;


The Attempt at a Solution



I thought of getting the mass of the He-6 using M=E/c2 =>40GeV/931.5MeV = 4.25 amu = 7.05*10^-26 kg. I am not sure if this helps and what to do next.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sawhai! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

my guess is that you're supposed to find the speed, and then use time dilation to find the half-life (looking up the stationary half-life in a table)
 
Ok, I think I now understand. Here is what I did:

Gamma = E/mc^2 = 40GeV/6*931.5MeV = 7.15

t1/2 = t1/2 (Stationary)*gamma = 7.15*807ms

Does this sound ok?
 
Thanks. Now another question

An electron accelerated to 106 keV colides with another free electron and recoils. Its energy after the collision is 26 keV.
(a) What is the energy of the other electron that was initially at rest? I said E=106-26=80keV
(b)Assume the target electron is from the innermost shell of a Tungsten atom. Is the bound electron ionized in this collision? (the potential energy of the Tungsten ground state is 70keV). I said yes because 106keV is more than 70keV

Do you see any thing wrong with these answers?

Thanks
 
For b it is not because 106 is larger than 70, but because 80 is larger than 70.