Hall Voltage Conundrum. Was Edwin Wrong?

• Thread starter brogers62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the individual has encountered unexpected results when performing a basic experiment on the Hall effect. The apparatus used includes a power source, electromagnet, gauss meter, hall sensor, and multimeters. The data collected was supposed to show a linear relationship between hall voltage and current, but instead showed a non-linear pattern when the direction of the magnetic field was reversed. The individual has consulted with their professor and suspects there may be an issue with the Hall sensor. They have been advised to research the composition of the sensor and contact the manufacturer for more information.
brogers62
First off, to answer my own question, I doubt it.

Secondly, a little background. While performing a basic experiment on the hall effect, I got some rather curious results.

The apparatus consists of a power source, an electromagnet, a gauss meter, a hall sensor, and a pair of multimeters to measure voltage and current.

So all is well. I have followed the given procedure, checked the connections and turned everything on. I begin gathering my data.

I was to measure the hall voltage from 0-50 mA at 5mA increments. The B field is 1500 Guass. (.15 tesla)

My results were to be expected, ranging from 0-20mA linearly.

Life is good.

Then I am asked to reverse the direction of the magnetic field. Easy, just switch the "+" and "-" connections of the coils. Now record again.

Same amp range, same increments. One problem. My data, which I have yet to look very closely at, is not a nice linear line. It increases until about 25 mA and then begins to decrease. By the time I reach 50 mA my Hall Voltage is on the other side of zero.

What the ...?

I spoke with my professor, who is an incredibly competent experimental physicists, and he was puzzled. Something isn't right though.

Discuss

ps This happened very recently and will likely be address by the time I am back on campus next week but I figured "why not give you geniuses an opportunity to enlighten me?"

pss I am a novice at best so please keep the technical jargon to understandable levels.

psss This discussion will have no bearing on any grade I may or may not receive for my work on this lab.

pssss Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that your Hall sensor exhibits magnetic anisotropy for some reason. In other words, the B field is not symmetrical with the applied H excitation within the sensor. This could be due to quantum mechanical effects. A Hall sensor is typically not just a piece of isotropic metal or semiconductor as conveniently described in elementary physics texts.

A section of the following PhD thesis discusses various Hall effect devices and their respective characteristics:

http://www.mic.dtu.dk/upload/institutter/mic/forskning/magnetic_systems/reports/phd_louiseejsing.pdf

I would try to determine the exact composition of your sensor, then contact the mfr for a data sheet if you haven't already done so. If your data conflicts with the data sheet info I would strongly suspect your experimental setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Hall Voltage Conundrum?

The Hall Voltage Conundrum is a scientific phenomenon that refers to the discrepancy between the expected Hall voltage and the actual measured Hall voltage in a conducting material.

2. Who is Edwin and why is he associated with this conundrum?

Edwin Hall was an American physicist who first discovered the Hall effect in 1879. The Hall effect is a fundamental physics phenomenon that explains the generation of a voltage across a conducting material when a magnetic field is applied. However, his measurements did not match the expected Hall voltage, leading to the Hall Voltage Conundrum.

3. What are some possible explanations for the Hall Voltage Conundrum?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the Hall Voltage Conundrum, including the existence of additional electron scattering mechanisms, the presence of impurities in the material, and the effects of temperature and magnetic field strength. However, there is still no widely accepted explanation for this phenomenon.

4. How significant is the Hall Voltage Conundrum in modern science?

The Hall Voltage Conundrum has significant implications in the fields of materials science and condensed matter physics. It challenges our understanding of fundamental physical principles and has hindered the development of new technologies that rely on accurate measurements of the Hall effect.

5. What current research is being done to address the Hall Voltage Conundrum?

Scientists and researchers are continuously conducting experiments and developing new theoretical models to better understand the Hall Voltage Conundrum. Some recent studies have also suggested potential solutions, such as using different measurement techniques and improving the quality of the conducting material. However, the conundrum remains an ongoing area of research and study.