Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins ?

• Thread starter lalbatros
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the link between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics through the Hamilton-Jacobi equation and the additional term called "quantum potential." The possibility of deriving a similar Hamilton-Jacobi equation for a system of interacting spins is also brought up, with potential references for further reading. It is also mentioned that incorporating spin into Bohmian mechanics may have practical applications in simulating quantum computations on a classical computer.
lalbatros
The Schrodinder equation leads to the classical Hamilton-Jacobi
equation with an additional term called "quantum potential". This is
the start of the Bohmian interpretation of quantum mechanics. The
derivation is straigthforward by assuming psi = R exp(iS/hb). The
vanishing of the additional term for the classical limit hb->0
illustrates nicely the link between QM and CM.

I would like to know if a similar find could be done for a system of
interacting spins (or qbits !). I take interacting spins as an
example of 'discrete system' (no space coordinate). Is there also an
Hamilton-Jacobi to be derived ? If yes, is there also a classical
limit to be seen ?

I would be interrested in ideas, suggestions and eventually
references related to this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
lalbatros said:
The Schrodinder equation leads to the classical Hamilton-Jacobi
equation with an additional term called "quantum potential". This is
the start of the Bohmian interpretation of quantum mechanics. The
derivation is straigthforward by assuming psi = R exp(iS/hb). The
vanishing of the additional term for the classical limit hb->0
illustrates nicely the link between QM and CM.

I would like to know if a similar find could be done for a system of
interacting spins (or qbits !). I take interacting spins as an
example of 'discrete system' (no space coordinate). Is there also an
Hamilton-Jacobi to be derived ? If yes, is there also a classical
limit to be seen ?

I would be interrested in ideas, suggestions and eventually
references related to this topic.

Beware that taking simply hbar=0 is simple in H-J formulation of QM, but it is far from giving you the link between QM and CM when hbar is different from 0 (you only look at a space point with such approximation).
Have a look at the WBK and optical approximations for a better understanding.

And, yes you have equivalent formulations of QM in the H-J formalism with the spin space.
There's a lot of papers in arxiv concerning this topic. I've found one, but beware as it is not the most accurate one. At least, it will give you additional paper pointers (Bogan, quant-ph0212110) :wink: .

Seratend.

The Bogan paper is not a "spin-only" formualtion. I know of several attempts to incorporate spin into Bohmian mechanics, but they all add it onto the usual position approach. It would be interesting to see a spin-only formulation, not necessarily for any foundational reason, but because it might provide a method of simulating some quantum computations on a classical computer. I would suggest that one could approach this by picking a privelliged spin direction to have a definite value, playing the role that position plays in the usual Bohmian formalism.

Related to Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins ?

1. What is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins is a partial differential equation that describes the dynamics of a system of interacting spins, which are quantum mechanical objects with a magnetic moment. It is commonly used in the study of magnetic materials and can also be applied to other physical systems.

2. What is the significance of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system of interacting spins and make predictions about its future state. It is a fundamental tool in the study of magnetism and has applications in fields such as materials science and condensed matter physics.

3. How is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins derived?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins is derived through the use of quantum mechanics and the principles of statistical mechanics. It involves the use of mathematical techniques such as the path integral method and the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins has many real-world applications, including the study of magnetic materials, such as ferromagnets and antiferromagnets. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic data storage devices and magnetic sensors.

5. What are some current research topics related to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins?

Some current research topics related to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for interacting spins include the study of spin dynamics in low-dimensional systems, the effects of disorder and defects on spin systems, and the development of new numerical methods for solving the equation. There is also ongoing research on the application of the equation to other physical systems, such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.