1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard infinite series converges problem (Real Analysis)

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let bk>0 be real numbers such that Ʃ bk diverges. Show that the series Ʃ bk/(1+bk) diverges as well.
    both series start at k=1

2. Relevant equations
    From the Given statements, we know 1+bk>1 and 0<bk/(1+bk)<1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using comparison test but cannot find anything that's definitely less than bk/(1+bk). Iv'e tried the ratio test but i get stuck with a bunch of bk+1's that I cannot do anything with.

Some help or at least a push in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thank you. I'm also kinda in a rush haha.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must be in a rush. If bk>0 then 1+bk>1, not 1+bk<1.

4. Dec 13, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: try considering separately the cases ##b_k < 1## and ##b_k \geq 1##.

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4
    Sorry but is there anymore guidance you could give? I keep failing at comparison and ratio test doesn't seem to work because we do not know if bk is decreasing, increasing or oscillating.

6. Dec 14, 2013 #5
    I'm not an expert and might be wrong, but if you could perhaps derive from the given hint, if ##0<b_k<1##, then what happens with the other series? Does it pass the preliminary test? What happens to the other series if ##b_k \geq 1##?

7. Dec 14, 2013 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if ##b_k < 1## then ##1 + b_k < 2##.

And if ##b_k \geq 1## then ##2b_k \geq b_k + 1##.

Try using these facts to get a lower bound for the terms of your series in each case.

8. Dec 14, 2013 #7
    Here is my attempt...:

case 1: bk<1 then 1+bk<2

so bk/(1+bk) > bk/2 so and Ʃ[bk/2] diverges so by comparison Ʃ[bk/(1+bk)] diverges

case 2: bk>=1 then 2bk>bk+1

so Ʃ[bk/2bk] < Ʃ[bk/(1+bk)]
    -->Ʃ[1/2] < Ʃ[bk/(1+bk)]
    since Ʃ[1/2] diverges Ʃ[bk/(1+bk)] diverges by comparison

I apologize for the bad format.

9. Dec 14, 2013 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you have the right idea. Your solution is fine in case ##b_k < 1## for all ##k##, or in case ##b_k \geq 1## for all ##k##. But in general, it may be true that ##b_k < 1## for some ##k## and ##b_k \geq 1## for other ##k##. Your proof needs to handle this general situation as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted