Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hardware Random Generators: Transistors vs Diodes

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    So which method works better for random number generation(in terms of flatter frequency spectrum): transistor breakdown or Zener noise?

I want to know whether to use a Zener diode or a Transistor when building a white noise generator. And FTR I intend to use Germanium because of its higher electron mobility and lower barrier potential.

But what about covered photodiode dark saturation current? Has that even been tested as a white noise source(Germanium photodiodes are much noisier than Silicon photodiodes).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2016 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    The LM336 Zener diode this fellow used is of course made of SILICON rather than Germanium. I'd be interested to see the performance spectra for a Germanium diode. But I have yet to see any date for Germanium photodiode dark saturation current. I think I'll try the Germanium transistor breakdown noise approach.

But this page is quite dated! Much progress has been made in HRNGs(mainly in terms of electro-optical devices).

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Not my field. Maybe someone with current knowledge will respond.

6. Apr 3, 2016 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted