1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic motion and acceleration

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    A system exhibits simple harmonic motion with a frequency of 0.85 cycles per second. Calculate the acceleration experienced by the mass 3.0 m from the equilibrium

This question seems simple, I haven't really tried anything cause I can't figure out how to start.

I need help to start this problem off

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You should write the equation of motion,differentiate twice with respect to time and try to eliminate time between acceleration and position and then set position equal to 3 m!

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3
    don't i lack the required information to use a motion equation

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A quick test you can do is dimensional analysis. You are given a time and a distance, so in principle you might have enough information to calculate a velocity, or an acceleration, etc., but not, e.g. a force, since you are not given any quantities involving a mass dimension.
    So, just go ahead and write out the equations. Maybe all the unknowns will disappear.

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

You could try to apply problem/puzzle logic.

Generally a question is asked when there is only one answer. Thus the answer you get if you assume the mass is 3 kg and maximum amplitude is 5.0 m will be the same as the answer when the mass is 1 kg and the maximum amplitude is 3.0 m

You could calculate both those answers, and if they are the same say "Wow; who would have thought!"

If the answers are different, you may then be able to do the "general" calculation to get the answer in terms of mass and maximum amplitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted