Harmonic motion and Electrical Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two positive charges are fixed on the x-axis and a third charge is released from rest. The question is asking for the expression for the oscillation period of the third charge, which is constrained to move only along the x-axis. The solution for part (a) is provided, but there is a discrepancy in the answer for part (b), which asks for the oscillation period in picoseconds. After checking and correcting the units, the answer for part (b) is found to be 0.2 picoseconds, which is different from the given solution of 2 picoseconds.
Qwurty2.0

Homework Statement

Two positive charges +Q are affixed rigidly to the x-axis, one at x = +d and the other at x = -d. A third charge +q of mass m, which is constrained to move only along the x-axis, is displaced from the origin by a small distance s << d and then released from rest. (a) Show that (to a good approximation) +q will execute simple harmonic motion and determine an expression for its oscillation period T. (b) If these three charges are each singly ionized sodium atoms (q = Q = +e) at the equilibrium spacing d = 3 x 10-10 m typical of the atomic spacing in a solid, find T in picoseconds.

Homework Equations

Fnet = F1 + F2
F = k * Q1 * Q2 / r2
T = 2 * π * √(m/k) (Simple Harmonic Motion)
Q = q = chargeelectron = 1.602 x 10-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part (a) but am getting the wrong answer for part (b).

Answer part a: T = π * √((m * d3) / (k * Q * q))

(b):
Sodium Ion (Na+)
Molar MassNa+ = 22.9898 g/mol = 0.0229898 Kg/mol
Mass per Na+ molecule = 0.0229898 Kg/mol / 6.02 molecules/mol = 3.8189 x 10-26 Kg
dequilibrium = 3 x 10-10 m

T = π * √( (3.8189 x 10-26 Kg) * (3 x 10-10 m)3 / ((8.99 x 109 N⋅m2 / C) * (1.602 x 10-19 C)2))

= π * √( 1.031103 x 10-54 kg⋅m2 / 2.307 x 10-28 N⋅m2 )

= π * 6.685 x 10-14 Kg/N

= 2.1 x 10-13 seconds (?)

= 0.2 picoseconds (the correct answer is 2 picoseconds).

Are my units wrong? I found some mistakes while writing this post but after fixing them I am off by 1x101.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your units do not match. Check the Coulombs.
Fixing that, I get the same answer as you got. If formula (a) is right, then the 2 picoseconds could be a mistake in the given solution.

I'll fix my units. The answer for question (a) is correct according to the book solutions.

EDIT: I misread the answer, it is 0.2 ps. So there is no problem (besides my units).

Last edited:

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around a central point.

2. How is harmonic motion related to electrical fields?

Harmonic motion can occur in electrical systems when there is an alternating current (AC) flowing through a circuit. The changing electric field created by the AC current causes charged particles to oscillate back and forth, resulting in harmonic motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating the period of harmonic motion?

The period of harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period (in seconds), m is the mass (in kilograms), and k is the spring constant (in newtons per meter).

4. Can harmonic motion be damped?

Yes, harmonic motion can be damped by external forces such as friction or air resistance. This can cause the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time, eventually leading to a complete stop.

5. How is the frequency of harmonic motion related to the mass and spring constant?

The frequency (f) of harmonic motion is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass (m) and directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant (k). This can be represented by the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m).