1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillation, spring not attached to center of mass

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    A bar is guided so that one end moves on a vertical line and the other on a horizontal line. A spring is attached to the upper end according to the figure. Any friction is neglected.

[​IMG]

I want to find out how x varies in time. If the center of mass would have been at x and k is the spring coefficient and m the mass, then

[tex]x = A sin (\sqrt{k/m}t + \phi_{0})[/tex]

But now the center of mass is at the center of the rod (with length d) instead. More specifically:

[tex]\overline{CM} = (x/2, -\sqrt{d^2 - x^2}/2[/tex]

How does this affect the equation of motion? Is it perhaps still the same? My intuition tells me something would change when the spring isn't attached at the COM but i don't know what and why. Thankful for help!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This problem is easiest with Lagrange's equations.
    If you don't know them, write a good free body diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?