Harmonic oscillator and fourier series

In summary, the conversation is about two problems that the person is unable to solve and is seeking help for. The first problem involves finding the general solution for a damped driven harmonic oscillator with a given driving force and the second problem is about solving a Fourier series question. The first problem is broken down into four parts, with the equation of motion discussed in part (a). The person seeking help also asks for clarification on what c represents in the equation.
The Oak
Hello,
Attached are two problems I can not solve, thanks for the help.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I understand that I need insert A1coswt+A2sinwt into the homogenous equation , but don't know what's then ..

But I'm pretty much lost on both of em :(

Attachments

• 1234.doc
    75.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should really make the effort to use the template and post the relevant information in the thread itself rather than expecting others to download a file just to read the problem.

Here's the text of the first problem:

Consider a damped driven harmonic oscillator, for which [itex]\beta=\omega_0/4[/itex] and the driving force is given by [itex]F=F_0 \cos \omega t[/itex]. Our goal is to find the general solution, which is the sum of the complementary and particular solutions:

(a) Write down the equation of motion.

(b) Write down the complementary (transient, homogenous) solution. (No specific initial conditions are given so your answer will contain two arbitrary coefficients.)

(c) For the particular solution, try the following function: (this is equivalent to equation 3.55 but with a different form)

[tex]x_p(t) = B_1 \cos \omega t + B_2 \sin \omega t[/tex]

Substitute this trial solution into your equation of motion, rearrange, and equate the coefficients to find expressions for B1 and B2.

(d) Now write down the expression for the general solution.
Start with part (a). What is the equation of motion for a forced, damped harmonic oscillator?

oops sry I thought it's more convienet in this way

I got the Fourier series question solved.

Ok for a damped harmonic oscillator the equation of motion is

mx.. + cx. +kx = F0cos(wt)

is that right?

Last edited:
It's right, except you don't say what c is.

Hello,

I am happy to help you with your questions about the harmonic oscillator and Fourier series.

To solve the first problem, you are correct in using the general solution A1coswt + A2sinwt for the homogenous equation. From there, you can use the initial conditions given to solve for the constants A1 and A2. This will give you the particular solution for the equation.

For the second problem, you will need to use the Fourier series to represent the given function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine terms. This involves calculating the coefficients a0, an, and bn using the given formula. Once you have these coefficients, you can use them to write the function as a sum of sine and cosine terms.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep working at it and you will be able to solve these problems successfully. Best of luck!

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system or mathematical model that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Examples include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or an electronic circuit.

2. What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This is known as Hooke's Law.

3. What is the relationship between a harmonic oscillator and Fourier series?

A harmonic oscillator can be represented by a Fourier series, which is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sinusoidal functions. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, the Fourier series would consist of only one term, as it exhibits only one frequency of oscillation.

4. How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency, according to the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency. This means that as the frequency of a harmonic oscillator increases, its energy also increases.

5. What is the significance of the Fourier transform in analyzing harmonic oscillators?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, the Fourier transform can be used to determine the amplitude and phase of the oscillation, as well as the dominant frequency. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the oscillator and help us make predictions about its future behavior.