Harmonic Oscillator energy = WKB approximate energy why?

In summary: This is simple: the initial approximation is sufficiently precise. In other words, the higher order WKB corrections to the energy level are very small (1/(pi^2 or so). Here I speak of corrections at a given n. So anyway the initial approximation of E_n is not so far from the exact level. That is why it may occasionally coincide with the exact one.
maverick280857
Hi,

Why is it that the WKB approximation produces the correct eigenvalues for the Harmonic Oscillator problem, but the wrong wavefunctions, whereas for the square well, we get correct wavefunctions and the wrong eigenvalues?

I've been trying to dig through the approximations we make in deriving the WKB expressions. The quantization rule that gives the correct eigenvalue for the harmonic oscillator is derived under the condition that near the turning points, the potential can be expanded as a linear function. And V(x) for the SHO is a quadratic function, the "next best" to a linear function.

Can we give a more rigorous reason for this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi,

Why is it that the WKB approximation produces the correct eigenvalues for the Harmonic Oscillator problem, but the wrong wavefunctions, whereas for the square well, we get correct wavefunctions and the wrong eigenvalues?

I've been trying to dig through the approximations we make in deriving the WKB expressions. The quantization rule that gives the correct eigenvalue for the harmonic oscillator is derived under the condition that near the turning points, the potential can be expanded as a linear function. And V(x) for the SHO is a quadratic function, the "next best" to a linear function.

Can we give a more rigorous reason for this?

Thanks.

In fact, the WKB approximation is not obliged to reproduce the exact eigenvalues and wave functions. It is by chance that some of that coincides with the exact ones. But WKB solutions converge quickly to the exact solutions when n increases.

In case of oscillator, the wave functions are always approximate since they are never valid at the turning points.

In case of a square well with infinitely high walls, the wave function is valid (=0) at the boundary points, so it may coincide with the exact ones.

Bob.

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Bob_for_short said:
In fact, the WKB approximation is not obliged to reproduce the exact eigenvalues and wave functions. It is by chance that some of that coincides with the exact ones. But WKB solutions converge quickly to the exact solutions when n increases.

And that is precisely why I want to know why it should "work" for the SHO. I wanted to understand if this chance coincidence can be rigorized.

maverick280857 said:
Thanks for your reply Bob. And that is precisely why I want to know why it should "work" for the SHO. I wanted to understand if this chance coincidence can be rigorized.

This is simple: the initial approximation is sufficiently precise. In other words, the higher order WKB corrections to the energy level are very small (1/(pi^2 or so). Here I speak of corrections at a given n. So anyway the initial approximation of E_n is not so far from the exact level. That is why it may occasionally coincide with the exact one.

Bob.

Last edited:

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits a repeating motion around an equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What is the relationship between energy and the WKB approximation in a harmonic oscillator?

The WKB approximation is a mathematical method used to estimate the energy levels of a quantum system. In a harmonic oscillator, the WKB approximation provides an approximate value for the energy of the system based on the classical energy levels.

3. How accurate is the WKB approximate energy for a harmonic oscillator?

The accuracy of the WKB approximate energy for a harmonic oscillator depends on the quantum number of the energy level. For low quantum numbers, the WKB approximation is highly accurate, but for higher quantum numbers, the accuracy decreases.

4. Can the WKB approximation be used for other systems besides the harmonic oscillator?

Yes, the WKB approximation can be applied to other quantum systems, such as the hydrogen atom and the one-dimensional particle in a box. However, its accuracy may vary depending on the specific system.

5. How does the WKB approximation relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The WKB approximation is a semiclassical method that combines classical mechanics with quantum mechanics. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and provides an approximate solution for the energy levels of a quantum system.