Harmonic Oscillator grandfather clock

In summary, the conversation discusses the period and amplitude of a grandfather clock pendulum and the calculation of its energy and the corresponding value of n for its quantum amplitudes. The conclusion is that the calculations are correct and n is equal to 5.3 x 10^30.
bon

Homework Statement

The pendulum of a grandfather clock has a period of 1s and makes excursions of 3cm either side of dead centre. Given that the bob weighs 0.2kg, around what value of n would you expect its non negligible quantum amplitudes to cluster?

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think the n here refers to the nth energy eigenvalue so En = (n + 1/2) h/2pi w

How do i work this out? My guess is that I need to work out the energy of a classical harmonic oscillator and equate this to (n+1/2) h/2pi w to get n?

So i know w = 2pi .. I've worked out the total energy of the classical oscillator to be 3.5 x 10^-3 J (using the fact that at max amplitude total energy = pe)

Then i equated this to (n+1/2)h/2pi w and got n = 5.3 x 10^30..

Is this right?

Thanks

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations of pendulum energy and of n are correct.

AM

Related to Harmonic Oscillator grandfather clock

1. What is a harmonic oscillator grandfather clock?

A harmonic oscillator grandfather clock is a type of clock that uses a pendulum or spring to keep time. The pendulum or spring oscillates back and forth at a constant rate, creating a harmonic motion that is used to measure the passage of time. These clocks are known for their accuracy and have been used for centuries as timekeeping devices.

2. How does a harmonic oscillator grandfather clock work?

A harmonic oscillator grandfather clock works by using the natural frequency of a pendulum or spring to measure the passage of time. The pendulum or spring is set in motion by the clock's gears and then regulated by a mechanism called the escapement, which allows the pendulum or spring to swing back and forth at a constant rate. The number of swings per minute is used to indicate the time on the clock's face.

3. What is the difference between a pendulum and a spring in a harmonic oscillator grandfather clock?

A pendulum and a spring are two different types of harmonic oscillators commonly used in grandfather clocks. A pendulum consists of a weight suspended from a rod or wire, while a spring consists of a coiled piece of metal that can stretch and compress. Both types of oscillators work in a similar way to keep time, but they have different natural frequencies, which can affect the accuracy of the clock.

4. How often does a harmonic oscillator grandfather clock need to be wound?

The frequency at which a harmonic oscillator grandfather clock needs to be wound varies depending on the type of clock and its design. Some clocks may need to be wound every 24 hours, while others may only need to be wound once a week. The clock's natural frequency and the length of its pendulum or spring determine the frequency of winding.

5. Why are harmonic oscillator grandfather clocks considered more accurate than other types of clocks?

Harmonic oscillator grandfather clocks are considered more accurate than other types of clocks because they use the natural frequency of a pendulum or spring to measure time, which is highly consistent and precise. The escapement mechanism also helps to regulate the oscillations of the pendulum or spring, ensuring that the clock keeps accurate time. Additionally, these clocks are designed to minimize external influences such as temperature and air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of other types of clocks.