1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator in electric field

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Potential energy of electron in harmonic potential can be described as ##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx##, where E is electric field that has no gradient.
    What are the energies of eigenstates of an electron in potential ##V(x)##? Also calculate ##<ex>##.

HINT: Use ##(x-a)^2=x^2-2ax+a^2##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am sorry, to say, but I have no idea how start here.

I know that if there were no electric field, the energies would be ##E_n=\hbar \omega (n+1/2)##. Since there is Electric field, I assume I have to solve ##\hat{H}\psi =E\psi ## for ##\hat{H}=\hat{T}+\hat{V}##... but, how on earth can i do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The hint is to "complete the square" in the expression ##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx##.
    That is, can you write it as ##V(x) = b(x-a)^2 - c## for certain constants ##a##, ##b## and ##c##?

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    Ok, I got that but I can't see how this makes my life any easier..

##V(x)=\frac{m\omega _0^2x^2}{2}-eEx=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE}{\sqrt{2m}\omega _0})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to factor out something inside the parentheses so that the x has a coefficient of 1 inside the parentheses. Then define a new variable in terms of x and solve the problem in the new variable.

6. Jan 16, 2014 #5
    Hmm,

##V(x)=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE}{\sqrt{2m}\omega _0})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

##V(x)=(\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\omega _0x-\frac{eE\sqrt{m}\omega_0}{\sqrt{2}m\omega _0^2})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}## and finally

##V(x)=(\frac{m}{2})^{1/4}\omega_0^{1/2}(x-\frac{eE}{m\omega _0^2})^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

now let's say ##u=x-\frac{eE}{m\omega _0^2}## than ##V(u)=(\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{1/4}u^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2}##

Now ##\hat{H}\psi = E_n \psi ##

##\hat{V}\psi=((\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{1/4}\hat{u}^2-\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2})\psi =E_n \psi##

Are the energies of eigenstates than ##W_n=(\hbar \omega(n+1/2)+\frac{e^2E^2}{2m\omega _0^2})(\frac{m}{2}\omega_0^2)^{-1/4}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted