Designing Haunch for Cantilever Beam in BS 8110

In summary: Bit of a stretch to call that a haunch - it's more like half of the total structure on that side of the upright member . There is not nearly enough information given to give any good answer on this problem . Intuitively though I am sure that there are better ways of supporting that platform
HarryKoh
Hi guys, how do I design the haunch for the cantilever beam? The slab area is relatively small, with 125thk ( 4.39m x 1190m ). I've looked through everywhere but I can't find on how to design the haunch. I'm using BS 8110. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Maybe a sketch would be helpful.

The profile of the haunch will depend on why you are using a haunched beam. Do you want to minimise the beam weight by moving material from near the middle to the supported ends so as to better counter the higher moments there?

Google; ' design of concrete haunched beam '
https://tubdok.tub.tuhh.de/bitstream/11420/1052/1/dissertation_nghiep_Teil1.pdf

Baluncore said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Maybe a sketch would be helpful.

The profile of the haunch will depend on why you are using a haunched beam. Do you want to minimise the beam weight by moving material from near the middle to the supported ends so as to better counter the higher moments there?

Google; ' design of concrete haunched beam '
https://tubdok.tub.tuhh.de/bitstream/11420/1052/1/dissertation_nghiep_Teil1.pdf

Hey there, thanks for the reply, I've uploaded the sketch, at the left hand side, the slab are non-suspended slab on top of compacted hardcore, while the right hand side it is a suspended slab, with a cantilever beam, support was added to the pilecap to the cantilever beam to prevent overturning, so my question is how do I design the support (labeled as "?" in the sketch)? Thanks! :D

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,718
Is this a real engineering job or a homework exercise ?

Nidum said:
Is this a real engineering job or a homework exercise ?

Hi, thanks for the reply, Nidum. This was came up from my supervisor on the "practical study" in my university. It's more like a capstone design. We used software to generate the reinforcement, but hand calculation must be included.

aaaaa-jpg.113714.jpg

Bit of a stretch to call that a haunch - it's more like half of the total structure on that side of the upright member . There is not nearly enough information given to give any good answer on this problem . Intuitively though I am sure that there are better ways of supporting that platform .

1. How do you determine the required haunch length for a cantilever beam in BS 8110?

In BS 8110, the required haunch length for a cantilever beam is determined by the following formula: Lh = 0.4Lc + 0.07R, where Lc is the cantilever length and R is the depth of the beam at the cantilever end. This formula ensures that the haunch provides enough support to prevent excessive deflection and cracking at the end of the cantilever.

2. What is the minimum haunch thickness for a cantilever beam in BS 8110?

The minimum haunch thickness for a cantilever beam in BS 8110 is 0.1 times the depth of the beam at the cantilever end. This ensures that the haunch is thick enough to provide sufficient support and prevent cracking.

3. How do you design the reinforcement for a haunch in BS 8110?

The reinforcement for a haunch in BS 8110 should be designed to resist both bending and shear forces. The amount of reinforcement required can be determined using the standard procedures for flexural and shear design of reinforced concrete beams. It is important to also consider the type and arrangement of reinforcement to ensure proper distribution and anchorage.

4. Can a haunch be used to increase the capacity of a cantilever beam in BS 8110?

Yes, a haunch can be used to increase the capacity of a cantilever beam in BS 8110. By increasing the depth of the beam at the cantilever end, the haunch can provide additional support and increase the bending and shear capacity of the beam. However, it is important to ensure that the haunch is designed properly to prevent overstressing and excessive deflection.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when designing a haunch for a cantilever beam in BS 8110?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a haunch for a cantilever beam in BS 8110 include not considering the appropriate design formula, using an insufficient haunch thickness, and not properly designing the reinforcement for both bending and shear forces. It is important to carefully follow the design procedures and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.