Q: cantilevered cylindrical shell

In summary: There is no analytic solution for small strains, but there are many numerical methods that can be used to solve for the deformation.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm trying to find a decent reference that discusses the (static) deformation of a cantilevered cylindrical shell under a transverse load- for example, how a horizontal cantilevered pipe will deform due to gravitational loading. Everything I can find either discusses axial loading or considers non-cylindrical beams (I-beams, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on the wall thickness of the tube .

Tubes with walls which are relatively thick compared to tube diameter can be treated as simple beams .

Tubes with walls that are relatively thin compared to tube diameter have to be treated as shell structures and analysed in detail . Some simple configurations of tube geometry and loads can be analysed mathematically but most real world problems require use of either direct numerical methods or FEA .

Can you tell me if you have a specific problem to deal with ?

Nidum said:
Depends on the wall thickness of the tube .

Tubes with walls which are relatively thick compared to tube diameter can be treated as simple beams .

Tubes with walls that are relatively thin compared to tube diameter have to be treated as shell structures and analysed in detail . Some simple configurations of tube geometry and loads can be analysed mathematically but most real world problems require use of either direct numerical methods or FEA .

Can you tell me if you have a specific problem to deal with ?

Thanks!

Specifically, we want to better model a primary cilium:
http://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajprenal.00172.2017

We are 'inspired' by some work on modeling microtubules as either orthotropic beams or as isotropic shells (honestly, not sure which is more appropriate). At this point, I'm mostly just surprised that this 'simple' problem doesn't seem to be so simple...

tube as beam deflection v3.png

Just for interest this is an example of a very simple FEA of a thin wall tubular cantilever beam with tip load .

(From one of my past engineering projects) .

Attachments

• tube as beam deflection v3.png
    tube as beam deflection v3.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Nidum said:
View attachment 217467
Just for interest this is an example of a very simple FEA of a thin wall tubular cantilever beam with tip load .

(From one of my past engineering projects) .

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply... had to deal with a bit of nasty business. That simulation is *exactly* the phenomenon we are interested in; is there no analytic solution, even for a small (linear) strain?

1. What is a cantilevered cylindrical shell?

A cantilevered cylindrical shell is a type of structural element that is commonly used in engineering and architecture. It consists of a cylindrical shape that is supported at one end, while the other end is left free to cantilever or extend outward without any additional support.

2. What are the advantages of using a cantilevered cylindrical shell?

One advantage of using a cantilevered cylindrical shell is its structural efficiency. Due to its shape, it can support a significant amount of weight while minimizing the use of materials. It also allows for more open and unobstructed spaces, making it ideal for large span structures such as bridges and roofs.

3. What are the common applications of cantilevered cylindrical shells?

Cantilevered cylindrical shells are commonly used in the construction of bridges, roofs, and other large span structures. They are also used in the design of storage tanks, pressure vessels, and other cylindrical containers.

4. How is the strength of a cantilevered cylindrical shell determined?

The strength of a cantilevered cylindrical shell is determined by several factors, including its geometry, material properties, and the applied loads. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the stress and deformation of the shell and ensure its structural integrity.

5. What are the potential challenges in designing and constructing a cantilevered cylindrical shell?

Designing and constructing a cantilevered cylindrical shell can be challenging due to its complex geometry and the need for precise calculations. In addition, factors such as wind, seismic activity, and temperature changes must be considered in the design process to ensure the shell can withstand various external forces and maintain its stability.