Hausdorff spaces & Continuous Mappings via Convergence.

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving the continuity of a mapping between Hausdorff spaces. The person is struggling to solve the problem and is seeking help and hints on how to approach the proof. The concept of Hausdorff spaces is also mentioned, which are topological spaces where any two points can be contained in disjoint open sets. It is noted that most spaces encountered in analysis are Hausdorff and that the real numbers are a specific example. The conversation concludes by suggesting to start with the real numbers and then generalize for other spaces.
strangerep
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

A kind person is helping me to self-study some aspects of topology,
continuity, etc. He posed the following exercise for me, which I
can't do, but he doesn't have time to write up the full solution.

Ex: Show that a mapping [tex]f[/tex] between Hausdorff spaces is continuous
if and only if the sequence [tex]f(x_0), f(x_1), \dots[/tex] converges to [tex]f(x)[/tex]
for every sequence [itex]x_0, x_1, \dots[/itex] converging to [itex]x[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To show f is continuous, one must show that every open set in the range of f(x) must
have an inverse image which is also an open set. I also know the definition
of a Hausdorff space as a topological space in which any two points are
contained in disjoint open sets. But that's about as far as I get. Does this
theorem have a name that I could look up? Or can anyone give me some
more hints about how to progress the proof?

TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausdorff_spaces#Properties

Almost all spaces encountered in analysis are Hausdorff; most importantly, the real numbers are a Hausdorff space. More generally, all metric spaces are Hausdorff. In fact, many spaces of use in analysis, such as topological groups and topological manifolds, have the Hausdorff condition explicitly stated in their definitions.
Which tells me you can start from the reals (as a special case) then generalize.

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a topological space in which any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that given any two points in the space, there exists an open set containing one point but not the other. This property is also known as the "separation axiom."

2. How are Hausdorff spaces related to continuous mappings?

Hausdorff spaces are closely related to continuous mappings because they have the property that the inverse image of a closed set under a continuous mapping is also closed. This makes Hausdorff spaces particularly useful for studying continuity and convergence in mathematical analysis.

3. What is the definition of a continuous mapping between Hausdorff spaces?

A continuous mapping between Hausdorff spaces is a function that preserves the topological structure of the spaces. This means that for any open set in the target space, the preimage of that set in the source space is also open. In other words, small changes in the input result in small changes in the output.

4. How does convergence play a role in understanding continuous mappings in Hausdorff spaces?

Convergence is a fundamental concept in topology and it plays a crucial role in understanding continuous mappings in Hausdorff spaces. In particular, a sequence of points in a space is said to converge to a point if all open sets containing the point eventually contain all but finitely many terms of the sequence. This notion of convergence is used to define continuity and to study the behavior of continuous mappings.

5. Can a non-Hausdorff space have continuous mappings?

Yes, it is possible for a non-Hausdorff space to have continuous mappings. However, the inverse image of a closed set under a continuous mapping may not be closed in a non-Hausdorff space. This means that certain properties that hold for continuous mappings in Hausdorff spaces may not hold in non-Hausdorff spaces, making the study of continuous mappings more complicated in these cases.