1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have a proof re. cyclic groups, need a little explaining

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a,b be elements of a group G. show that if ab has finite order, then ba has finite order.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    provided proof:
    Let n be the order of ab so that (ab)n = e. Multiplying this equation on the left by b and on the right by a, we find that (ba)n+1 = bea = (ba)e. Cancellation of the first factor ba from both sides shows that (ba)n = e, so the order of ba is < n. If the order of ba were less than n, a symmetric argument would show that the order of ab is less than n, contrary to our choice of n. Thus ba has order n also.

okay. so, this is from a chapter on cyclic groups, so i'm assuming that it has to do with, duh, cyclic groups. i know cyclic groups are abelian, and if that were to be assumed from the beginning, i believe this problem would be relatively easy. although, actually, it probably wouldn't even be a problem, since it would be true from the beginning (since we could just say ab=ba, and abn=ban

Let n be the order of ab so that (ab)n = e.
    got that, that makes sense, i believe that's the definition of order of an element.
    WAIT. here's the crux, something i (maybe) just realized as i typed this sentence. since we define the order of ab such that abn=e, does that imply that G is cyclic, and thus abelian? that would make things easier, if i'm right. so far, a quick internet search has failed me on an answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the group is abelian then ab=ba and there is really nothing to prove. The proof you gave holds regardless of whether the group is abelian or not.
  4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    okay, i was just confused as how b(ab)na could turn into (ba)n+1 without it being abelian. i see how it's from letting (ab)n = e. thanks.
  5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's actually just from regrouping the terms.
  6. Mar 3, 2010 #5
    yeah, actually, i still don't get it. how can you regroup the terms if it's not commutative? or at least it's not assumed to be commutative.
    we have (ab)(ab)...(ab) n times. so b(ab)na = b(ab)(ab)...(ab)a...
    Oh! got it! thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook