Have you guys ever written an article in your undergrad math class?

In summary, the ODE professor's website has a writing-based assignment for next year. The student is worried about not being a good writer and their grammar. They also mention that they want to work on their writing skills now so that it won't count against them later. The professor has a great idea of learning how to write a good math article. The student suggests looking at a PDF on the subject.
flyingpig
Okay I just checked out my ODE professor's site for next year and I notice that all of her assignments are writing-based...

I've attached one of the sample assignments (there are like four writing assignments in one semester...), the marking scheme and a sample article I am a little worried because I am not a very good writer and my grammar just suck.

Does anyone have any advice on writing good math articles? I am a little worried about it...

Attachments

• a1_article_mscheme.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 252
  • ode.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 437
  • a1_article_sample.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
Just keep in mind your audience, and the level of technicality expected of you. You wouldn't write the same way on this subject to your grandma that you would to a fellow student, and you wouldn't write the same to a fellow student as you would to your professor. Ask your professor exactly what he is expecting in terms of formalism and technicality, and go from there. It seems like the assignments are extremely well described, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like this will be good practice, though, if you're this worried about it!

If you are taking ODE, don't be overwhelm by the writing requirements. The ODE sample looks pretty straightforward. Solve the ODE and describe what is going on, although the sample article goes a little bit more by providing the scientific facts of the equation.

I like the idea that you get to write an analysis. It's a beautiful thing because instead of solving a problem mechanically (like a robot), you actually have to put in time to understand what each step of your solution mean to you (and to the reader). It can help you with your science / mathematics / engineering, as well as catching mistakes.

jwxie said:
If you are taking ODE, don't be overwhelm by the writing requirements. The ODE sample looks pretty straightforward. Solve the ODE and describe what is going on, although the sample article goes a little bit more by providing the scientific facts of the equation.

I like the idea that you get to write an analysis. It's a beautiful thing because instead of solving a problem mechanically (like a robot), you actually have to put in time to understand what each step of your solution mean to you (and to the reader). It can help you with your science / mathematics / engineering, as well as catching mistakes.

A sentence or two is okay, but four paragraphs and writing it four times seems unnecessary to me...

Not to mention there are other problems as well in addition to those writing assignments.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. While your excuse that your grammar "sucks" might pass when sitting a maths/physics exam, it certainly won't when it comes to whatever profession you end up in, or even in applying for jobs in the future. It's a good idea to work on your grammar and writing skills now so that it won't count against you further down the line.

osnarf said:
Just keep in mind your audience, and the level of technicality expected of you. You wouldn't write the same way on this subject to your grandma that you would to a fellow student, and you wouldn't write the same to a fellow student as you would to your professor. Ask your professor exactly what he is expecting in terms of formalism and technicality, and go from there. It seems like the assignments are extremely well described, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like this will be good practice, though, if you're this worried about it!

This is great advice, and I highly recommend that the OP adopt this advice for any general situation where clear and concise communication is required. As a scientist/engineer/analyst/etc, you will be working with people with very different domains of experience/knowledge/perspective/understanding, and your job will be to get a problem, analyze it, and tell other people in the minimal way possible your recommendation/advice.

flyingpig said:
A sentence or two is okay, but four paragraphs and writing it four times seems unnecessary to me...

And before even taking the course, you feel qualified to decide that it is being taught all wrong.

We have a word for doing things you are not good at in the hope of improving. It's called learning. I think the professor here has a great idea.

I think this will be a great assignment. I had to write quite a few articles in my undergraduate classes, and I benefited greatly from all of them.

Writing a math article is quite a skill and it's not an easy one to obtain. Check "tex.loria.fr/typographie/mathwriting.pdf"[/URL] which gives quite a few hints on how to write a good math paper.

A few hints:
try to use as few symbols as necessary, symbols like [itex]\forall,~\exists,~\Rightarrow,...[/itex] should rarely be used.
Use text to glue your arguments together. Do not just give a long calculation, but describe what you're doing.
Don't begin a sentence with a symbol, ever.
Try to copy the style from your math book.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Writing a math article is quite a skill and it's not an easy one to obtain. Check "tex.loria.fr/typographie/mathwriting.pdf"[/URL] which gives quite a few hints on how to write a good math paper.[/quote]

I will check that out

[quote]
A few hints:
try to use as few symbols as necessary, symbols like [itex]\forall,~\exists,~\Rightarrow,...[/itex] should rarely be used.[/quote]

And here I thought I should use more because this is a math article...[quote]
Don't begin a sentence with a symbol, ever.[/quote]

How do you even...?

[quote]
Try to copy the style from your math book.[/QUOTE]

I've read James Stewart's book (both MVC and Single Variables) and all of his ambigous explanations, I am pretty good at decoding him so that boosts my confidence.

I am a little more worried about the "pleasant to read" part. I also find it a little bit unfair to international students that he or she will get marked based on their language. My grammar is competent, but not seriously great so I am just worried about little mistakes (the ones people never find no matter how many times they read it).

But thanks for the advice everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
flyingpig said:
I also find it a little bit unfair to international students that he or she will get marked based on their language. My grammar is competent, but not seriously great so I am just worried about little mistakes (the ones people never find no matter how many times they read it).

Presumably you're taking a course taught in English for a reason. And besides, I looked at the mark scheme, and there are only 2 points for spelling and grammar out of the 22 on offer for the assignment.

flyingpig said:
I also find it a little bit unfair to international students that he or she will get marked based on their language. My grammar is competent, but not seriously great so I am just worried about little mistakes (the ones people never find no matter how many times they read it).
I'm an international student and would seriously start hating and questioning the quality of the institution that gave us an easier time with grammar just because of that. If someone is worried about making mistakes pertaining to the use of language, there's always the possibility of studying in a country where they use their first one, and such positive discrimination would actually be totally unfounded and completely unfair to domestic students. What's next, overlooking grammar mistakes of those domestic students that come from a part of the country that has a stronger local accent than others?

Last edited:
flyingpig said:

Not to mention there are other problems as well in addition to those writing assignments.

It's only a sample. You have to decide what to write. I am not sure why the sample article includes those scientific facts, but the paragraphs that deals with the solution is not bad at all. It can be done much shorter. No doubt. You have to consult with the instructor to find about what is acceptable and what is not.

Yeah. There are many problems, which look pretty much a nightmare. The first couple assignments may seem long and difficult, but you may find a "trick" to simplify the writing procedures afterward.

Again, don't worry about it too much. If you wish, begin learning Differential equation right now. You have a whole summer :]

1. What is the purpose of writing an article in an undergrad math class?

The purpose of writing an article in an undergrad math class is to develop critical thinking skills, improve communication and writing abilities, and showcase understanding of a mathematical concept or theory.

2. How do you choose a topic for an article in an undergrad math class?

Choosing a topic for an article in an undergrad math class can be done by brainstorming ideas related to the course material or finding a specific area of interest within the field of mathematics. It is important to choose a topic that is manageable and can be thoroughly researched and explained.

3. What is the typical structure of an article in an undergrad math class?

The typical structure of an article in an undergrad math class includes an introduction, background information, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include graphs, equations, and other visual aids to support the written content.

4. How do you incorporate mathematical equations into an article in an undergrad math class?

Incorporating mathematical equations into an article in an undergrad math class can be done by using appropriate notation and clearly explaining the meaning and relevance of the equations. It is also important to use proper formatting and labeling of the equations.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful article in an undergrad math class?

Some tips for writing a successful article in an undergrad math class include choosing a clear and concise topic, thoroughly researching and understanding the topic, organizing the article effectively, and proofreading for errors and clarity. It is also helpful to seek feedback from peers or instructors before submitting the final article.