Have you seen this PDE before?

• Thread starter Lurian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is about a partial differential equation with two functions dependent on x and y. The left hand side is the determinant of the jacobian matrix, which is also the curl of a vector function. The equation can be used to calculate the z-component of the vector function. The speaker is asking for help in identifying where they have seen this equation before.
Lurian
In the course of my research I came across this PDE
[itex]\frac{\partial{a_0}}{\partial{x}}\frac{\partial{a_1}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{\partial{a_0}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{a_1}}{\partial{x}}=0.[/itex]
with both functions depending on x and y.
I am quite sure I have seen equations of this form before but I do not remember when and where. Maybe someone of you guys can help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Lurian said:
In the course of my research I came across this PDE
[itex]\frac{\partial{a_0}}{\partial{x}}\frac{\partial{a_1}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{\partial{a_0}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{a_1}}{\partial{x}}=0.[/itex]
with both functions depending on x and y.
I am quite sure I have seen equations of this form before but I do not remember when and where. Maybe someone of you guys can help me?

Thanks

The left hand side is the determinant of the jacobian matrix
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\frac{\partial a_0}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial a_0}{\partial y} \\
\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial a_1}{\partial y}
\end{array}
\right).
[/tex]

isnt this also the curl of some vector function A(x,y,z) ?

∇ × A

the equation shown would be computing the z-component.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE stands for Partial Differential Equation, which is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their respective partial derivatives.

2. What are some examples of PDEs?

Some common examples of PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace equation.

3. How are PDEs different from ordinary differential equations (ODEs)?

The main difference between PDEs and ODEs is that PDEs involve multiple independent variables and their respective partial derivatives, while ODEs only involve one independent variable and its derivatives.

4. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can PDEs be solved analytically?

Some simple PDEs can be solved analytically, but most PDEs require numerical methods for solutions. These methods involve using computers to approximate the solutions to the equations.