Have you taken on the challenge of the British Physics Olympiad A2 challenge?

In summary, the British Physics Olympiad is a challenging competition for able A level Physics students. Paper 2 is the most difficult of the three papers.
nickbob00
Not sure where this goes, but since it's an education thing, I figured here would be the best place.

Hi all,

I'm planning on sitting the British Physics Olympiad A2 challenge in a few weeks and I was hoping to see what people thought about it and see if anyone here is either doing it this year or has done it in a previous year.

It is a competition for able A level Physics students (age 17/18, A2/year 13), and the second paper is used to select candidates to go on and represent Britain in the International Physics Olympiad.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested, looks to be very difficult (considering this is intended for high school aged pupils, who will not have done any calculus based Physics at school -_-)
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/PaperBPhO.html

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in Year 12 (16 years of age) and entering. I am also doing the AS challenge in early 2012.

Awesome, have you looked at the papers yet?

I haven't looked at IPhO or AS Challenge papers, but in the summer holidays I looked at Paper 1 (A2 paper). It doesn't seem as hard as BMO/IMO. The timing does look a bit difficult, especially because some 2-markers might take a bit longer than 2 minutes to arrive at the answer (thinking time). I haven't done a full paper yet, though.

Paper 1 is only a little harder than A level, Paper 2 is where it's at :P

Do we have to do Paper 2 as well?

Oh, that's why my sheet says 3 hours... apparently it can be split up into 1 hr 15 min and 1 hr 45 min, or a straight 3 hours if you want. I am assuming no calculus is required for Paper 2?

Paper 2 is distinct from paper one. Not sure if it explicitly requires calculus, but it probably helps :P

I should be preparing for this but I am not. Just let me finish this packet of crisps. Procrastination at its finest.

Anyone else doing this?

Related to Have you taken on the challenge of the British Physics Olympiad A2 challenge?

What is the British Physics Olympiad?

The British Physics Olympiad (BPhO) is a national competition that aims to stimulate and challenge students with an interest in physics. It is organized by the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge.

Who can participate in the British Physics Olympiad?

Students in the United Kingdom who are in their final two years of secondary education (typically ages 16-18) are eligible to participate in the BPhO. This includes students from state schools, independent schools, and home-schooled students.

What is the format of the British Physics Olympiad?

The BPhO consists of three rounds: the preliminary round, the intermediate round, and the final round. The preliminary and intermediate rounds are multiple-choice exams, while the final round is a written exam. The top scoring students from the final round are invited to a training camp and the top six represent the UK in the International Physics Olympiad.

What are the benefits of participating in the British Physics Olympiad?

Participating in the BPhO can help students develop problem-solving skills, improve their understanding of physics concepts, and gain experience in competitive exams. It also provides an opportunity for students to meet and network with other students who share their interest in physics.

How can I prepare for the British Physics Olympiad?

To prepare for the BPhO, students should have a strong understanding of physics concepts and practice solving problems. Past papers and online resources are available to help with preparation. It is also helpful to participate in physics clubs or study groups to discuss and solve problems with other students.