1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having problems with the (I think) general chain rule

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the transformation [itex]\mathbf{x}=G(\mathbf{u}), \text{ where } \mathbf{x}=(x_1,x_2,x_3),\:\mathbf{u}=(u_1,u_2,u_3)[/itex] given by[tex]x_1=u_1+u_3^2[/tex][tex]x_2=u_3-u_1^2[/tex][tex]x_3=u_1+u_2+u_3[/tex]

I need to compute the derivative of this transformation, and then show that the transformation is locally invertible if [itex]u_1u_3>0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

unsure really.

3. The attempt at a solution

well x is a function of [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3[/itex] and all the [itex]x_j's[/itex] are functions of [itex]u_1,u_2,u_3[/itex]. So I am dealing with a map [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] right?

sorry i'm really lost on what this question is asking. mostly focusing on the firsrt part right now (the derivative)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose that third line is supposed to read ##x_3=u_1+u_2+u_3##. Is that what is causing your problems? Can you calculate the Jacobian now?

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    that's a typo yes, but not what is causing my problem.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4
    [tex](x_1,x_2,x_3)=G(u_1,u_2,u_3)[/tex]
    [tex]D\mathbf{x}=\left[\begin{matrix} \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_2} & \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_3} \\ \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_2} & \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial x_3} \\ \frac{\partial x_3}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_3}{\partial u_2} & \frac{\partial x_3}{\partial u_3}\end{matrix}\right]
    [/tex]

6. Mar 7, 2013 #5
    is that the jacobian?

7. Mar 7, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You can read about the Jacobian and its properties here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_matrix_and_determinant

8. Mar 7, 2013 #7
    ok cool, thanks a lot!

I'm sure i'll be able to hack through the rest of it. I'm quite frustrated with my textbook right now (folland). It seems to be more of a reference text than something that I can actually learn from. Still looking for a companion text, or even better something like khan academy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted