1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble evaluating an integral

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1

I'm trying to find a series expression for the triangle waveform through some messy math.

I've reduced the problem down to solving the integral:

Integrate[ 1/w^2 * (1-Cos[T*w/2]) * Exp[(1-n)*I*t*w ] with respect to w from -Infinity to Infinity

T is a constant, I is Sqrt[-1], and n is an integer.

Mathematica cannot evaluate this integral, but if I use the function InverseFourierTransform and substitute a specific value of n, mathematica works. I plotted for a couple of n's and I know this is the integral I want.

I tried doing the integral through residues, but the only singularity I can see is w = 0 and the residue there is zero.

The problem is Ex. #5 part d of http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~fcp/math/distributions/distributions.pdf (scroll all the way down to the bottom)

Is there some residue I'm not seeing?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not simply expand the exp(i[...]) in sin and cos and separate the integral in real and imaginary part and integrate them separately.

Pehaps use the cosAcosB and CosASinB identities on the resulting integrals.
  4. Nov 4, 2006 #3
    Actually, I just re-read the question. It asks that I find the fourier transform of f, not f itself so I don't need to do this integral :eek:

Now I feel stupid. I'll try that method though, thanks :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?