1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble linearizing an equation

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The goal of my lab was to measure the ratio of charge to mass for electrons (e/m) and the approximate ambient magnetic field of the Earth (BE). I have come up with what is the required equation (my TA confirmed this) but I am having trouble linearizing it.

y=mx+b
    y=(e/m)x+BE

While the answer I have would work, I can't help but feel that there is a better way to linearize this equation. Any help would be appreciated.
    2. Relevant equations

e/m=2v/[(BH-BE)^2]*r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

e*(BH-BE)^2/m=2v/r^2

(BH-BE)^2=2vm/er^2

BH-BE= (2vm/er^2)^1/2

BH=[(2vm/er^2)^1/2] +BE

BH=[(2vm/e)^1/2]*1/r +BE

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you want to solve that equation for BH, there is no possible other result (apart from more complicated ways to write the same thing).

Be careful with written fractions - 1/ab is ambiguous. A computer would interpret it as (1/a)*b, and some human readers get confused. If you mean 1/(ab), the brackets are important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted