1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble trying to relearn physics

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to relearn physics the summer. I've been studying some basic calculus and I've enjoyed it. But I'm going back to solving problems that don't involve any calculus, such as kinematics (like using the suvat equations). Now the problem is I'm having a very difficult time solving some questions,specifically a stone being thrown vertically upward off the edge of a cliff, then I have to find its speed before it hits the ground, time in air, total distance. One such problem took me about 30 mins to do. When you guys were learning physics were you guys troubled with this kind of introductory stuff?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2
    I was. I'll be honest, i'm only 17. I have been practicing particle physics for about a year now, but started with the basics. Some of those questions like that were really tough, but you get better with practice. As of right now(a year after starting), I am working in warp theory, and think back a lot. I am sure you will get better.

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The first time I took a Physics class? You betcha. It's an entire different heuristic scheme you need to learn to apply math to physical problems. Keep doing problems, you'll get better.

5. Aug 6, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the reply. I like doing the problems and I love the challenge. Nevertheless I get frustrated at myself for not being able to solve these sorts of problems.

6. Aug 6, 2015 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

We all start somewhere. Keep it up.

7. Aug 6, 2015 #6
    Very cool. That must've take a lot of dedication and passion. Today I watched a video on fluid mechanics (specifically finding the rate at which water leaves a cone using the chain rule and volume for a cone). It was fun to watch. I'm just grinding through the rudimentary stuff now and maybe in a couple years can actually study e and m.

8. Aug 6, 2015 #7
    Humble quote. Really puts things in perspective for me. Thanks a lot it means a lot to me.

9. Aug 6, 2015 #8
    No problem dude, glad i could help. Pretty good at physics i am, so you have any other questions?

10. Aug 6, 2015 #9
    Is there a point in your career so far where you not only learned the physics (eg the equations, theories, postulates) but actually understood them? What i mean is if you saw newton's second law you could understand why f net equals m a? Or why work equals the line integral of f dot ds? Or maxwell's equations? Or the fluid equations in cosmology? I know that such things and formulas are out there but I want to one day: 1) apply them in problems in textbooks and online on pf; and 2) I want to understand nature to the best of my capacity

11. Aug 6, 2015 #10
    Its good that you want to understand everything. Can you pm me the questions? Also, I try to understand everything I learn, so yes, I have learned, and understood.

12. Aug 6, 2015 #11

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean?

13. Aug 6, 2015 #12
    The first physics class I ever took was the hardest for me. I spent hours doing that kind of problem over and over again and still struggled. If you keep up, it'll get better, your problem-solving skills are just getting sharpened.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook