1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble understanding how to solve the derivative of y=x^tanx?

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    Having trouble understanding how to solve the derivative of y=x^tanx?

Like the question says. Can someone help me please? I have an exam tomorrow and having trouble solving these.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    assuming you want dy/dx...

in general for a function like y(x) = f(x)^[g(x)], you write y(x) = exp(g(x)*ln(f(x)) then differentiate with respect to x.

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3
    Another way of viewing it is to take the natural logarithm of both sides, and then use the properties of ln to simplify things on the right hand side. Then take the derivative of both sides and solve for y'. This is the same thing that fluxions said, just a slightly different approach that I think is a little easier to work with since you don't have the exponential in the way. Just remember that (ln(y))'=y'/y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook