1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble with a fairly simple integration

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm in the middle of solving a D.E using integration factors, and I've ended up with an integral on the R.H.S which is as follows: [tex] \displaystyle \int \frac {e^ \frac {-1}{x}}{x^4} dx [/tex]

I've tried to use integration by parts to do it, but I keep having to use it again and again. I've checked that my integrating factor is correct, and it is. I'm just having a hard time doing it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try splitting it this way:
    u = x^(-2), dv = x^(-2)e^(-1/x)dx

I haven't worked it through, so can't guarantee this will work, but this is what I would try.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Okay, thanks. I'll give it a go.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you let 1/x = t (new variable), what do you get ?

6. Feb 21, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would start by substituting u=(-1/x). The integration by parts should be straightforward. You only need to do it twice. Can you show where you are having problems?

7. Feb 21, 2012 #6
    Using [tex] \displaystyle u= \frac {-1}{x} [/tex] I get [tex] \displaystyle \int e^{u} u^{2} du [/tex]

Then I used integration by parts to get that equal to [tex] \displaystyle u^{2}e^{u} - \int 2u e^{u} du [/tex]

Then using integration by parts again I get that equal to [tex] \displaystyle 2u e^{u} - \int 2e^{u} [/tex] which is just [tex] \displaystyle 2u e^{u} - 2e^{u} [/tex]

Then subbing back in and taking out a factor of [tex] \displaystyle e^u [/tex] I get the answer to the first integral as [tex] \displaystyle e^{u}(u^{2}-2u+2) [/tex]

And subbing u back in I get [tex] \displaystyle e^{ \frac {-1}{x}}( { \frac {1}{x^{2}}} + { \frac {2}{x}} + 2) [/tex]

Does that look right?

8. Feb 21, 2012 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can check yourself - differentiate what you ended with and you should get the integrand of your integral.

9. Feb 21, 2012 #8
    Yeah I checked it with wolfram, its correct. Thanks for the tip, I'm not that good with integrals so I probably wouldn't have spotted that.

10. Mar 4, 2012 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Late I am, but for the record, don't leave out the integration constant, because it shows what you're looking for: the 'family' of antiderivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook