1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having Trouble With an Intergration Problem

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    I am given that the equation of a curve is y = 9 / (2 - x). They then ask me to find the volume obtained by the region bounded by the curve, the coordinate axes and the line x = 1 when the region is rotated through 360° about the x-axis.

My attempt:

To calculate this I must use the format of V = ∏ ∫ y2 dx. Thus I square the equation, giving me 81 / (2 - x)2.

Now I need to integrate the expression. Here is where I think I'm going wrong...expand the bottom term to get x2 - 4x + 4.
    I then try to integrate this expansion, getting 81 / (2x - 4) ln |x2 - 4x + 4|.

This gives me the final equation of V = ∏ [81 / (2x - 4) ln |x2 - 4x + 4|] from x = 0 to x = 1

Long story short I don't come to the right answer after all of that. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something easy and obvious. :frown: Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't integrate that correctly at all. Use the substitution u=(2-x). What's the integral of 1/u^2=u^(-2)???

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your method of obtaining the volume is incorrect.

Review the Second Theorem of Pappus:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see no problem with the formulation of the integral, but as Dick notes, the algebra went awry from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted