Having trouble with L298N H-Bridge IC

• Thread starter sherrellbc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the conversation was about the confusion in understanding how the L298N H-Bridge IC works from the given block diagram and schematic. The person was trying to figure out how to enable and disable specific transistors in order to run a motor in a certain direction. They were also discussing the use of ENA/ENB pins and PWM signals to control the motor's speed. In the end, they discovered that some of the AND gates have inverting terminals which helped them understand the functionality of the IC.
sherrellbc
[SOLVED] Having trouble with L298N H-Bridge IC

I cannot understand how this IC works from the block diagram given in the datasheet. I understand the concept of an H-bridge, but cannot figure how this one operates.

I drew on the schematic to illustrate my confusion.

To run a motor in the given way (red path) you would need to enable the transistor in the top left and bottom right, while disabling the other two. Do to that, the AND gates at the base of those transistors (conducting) need to have two HIGH terminals in order to provide feeder current for the transistors.

However, in order to turn on only those two transistors, you must enable IN1, IN2, and ENA (ENA is simply a pin you enable to power the left H-Bridge of the L298N - is has two as shown).

Given how the wires are connected, there is no way - that I can see apparently - to turn on two diagonal transistors without enabling the other two ..

I obviously must be missing something .. According to what I have read, in order to drive the transistors you need to have IN1 HIGH and IN2 LOW for one direction and the opposite for the other. I just do not see, from this schematic, how that even is possible.

Also note: the ENA/ENB pins are used in conjunction with PWN signals to drive the motor are variable speeds.

-----------------

Here is the original:

paj36.png

And here is the illustration:

wblhD.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I was actually informed that some of the AND gates had inverting terminals. That completely makes sense now. I did not even catch that.

Even though no one posted I will leave this just in case anyone ever searches with a similar issue and thread gets indexed.

1. What is an L298N H-Bridge IC?

An L298N H-Bridge IC is an integrated circuit that is commonly used to control the direction and speed of DC motors. It is often used in robotics and other projects that require precise motor control.

2. Why am I having trouble with my L298N H-Bridge IC?

There could be several reasons for trouble with an L298N H-Bridge IC. Some possible causes include incorrect wiring, insufficient power supply, or damaged components. It is also important to make sure that the IC is being used within its specified parameters.

3. How do I wire an L298N H-Bridge IC?

Wiring an L298N H-Bridge IC can vary depending on the specific project and components being used. However, in general, the IC requires connections to a power supply, control signals from a microcontroller, and the motor being controlled. It is important to consult the datasheet for the specific IC for detailed wiring instructions.

4. What is the maximum current that can be handled by an L298N H-Bridge IC?

The maximum current that can be handled by an L298N H-Bridge IC depends on the specific model and its heat dissipation capabilities. However, in general, the IC can handle currents up to 2A per channel, with a maximum total current of 4A.

5. How can I troubleshoot my L298N H-Bridge IC?

If you are experiencing issues with your L298N H-Bridge IC, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, double check all of your connections and make sure they are correct. You can also try using a different power supply to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the IC or consult its datasheet for further troubleshooting tips.